Value of 1796 8 Reales I.J. Lima Mint coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by hobbyist, Jan 18, 2010.

1. hobbyist

hobbyist Junior Member

Hi guys! I recently found this 8 reales coin in my coin hunting but I can't find what it is worth on my Unreliable 2006 15th edition Coin & Prices guide to Mexican Coins. Only the 1796 8R FM Mexico is listed. Why is it not listed in the guide anyways?

The coin looks uncleaned with scratches on obverse and a large "slice" near the crown which looks something like what happens when you try to scoop some from a gallon of hard icecream. Details are still nice though.

Please check the photos and I hope you can share your insights about this coin. And the value perhaps?

Thanks guys! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It is not fake. It is a original coin. Value - about 100-120 $ in Russia.

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Lima mint common date bust 8 reales go for about $75 in eBay, IF you are lucky enough to find a buyer. I feel demand is very soft for Lima bust coinage in general.
    Check if yours reads 8R or R8 on the reverse. The R8 variety sems to be very rare and worth much more.
    However, the real value of this coin is that you found it detecting, and that bis priceless in terms of satisfaction.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The coin is damaged, scratches on the obv and what appears to be a very large depression on the rev. Even if genuine, in that condition it would have little value above melt.

6. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

It's certainly damaged, but I'm pretty sure it's worth at least $65 or so. Melt value approximately $14 ?

7. GDJMSP

Yeah, there's probably somebody out there who doesn't know much about them that might pay that. But anybody who does know about them would likely not pay over $20.

8. hobbyist

hobbyist Junior Member

Thank you for all the help guys! :D:D:D:D

Just one small question, why can't I find this coin in my Coin and Price guide for Mexican coins? Just the 1796 Mexico mint 8reales.:eek:dd:I tried to find coins on ebay and all the 1796 8 reales were Mexico Mints, not Lima. Can't find a single Lima Mint. So I guess it is not common, right? Oh, I didn't find this detecting, I found it coin "hunting" in the flea market.;)

BTW, i'm sorry I should have posted this thread on the What it's worth? forum. :D Next time.

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

20$ - it is cool! In Russia - more expensive (100-120 $!):mad:

10. GDJMSP

You can't find it under Mexico because it wasn't minted in Mexico. It was minted in Peru.

11. hobbyist

hobbyist Junior Member

Hahaha! So that explains why. :bigeyes:Hmmmn I should learn how to read the guide first. hahaha Thanks admin. :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted