Value for money: Ancient Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JBGood, May 28, 2015.

1. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

i would appreciate some perspective on what would be a reasonable price for this coin? image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm unsure as to why, but most references indicate this coin is worth upwards of $150. Perhaps it is because it was struck while he was Caesar and not Augustus?

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. JBGood

It is a large coin, 27MM, reasonably well struck and centered. The vendor has come down to $140 from $160. I do not have the RIC to check rarity, but I assume this is a common coin?

5. Bing

RIC's rarity is seldom correct. But give me a moment to check my copy of RIC to see what it says.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Is there something about this particular Constantine/Genio Lugdunum coin that you like, compared to the many others currently for sale? If so, go for it :).

7. Bing

RIC indicates common to scarce depending on the portrait style, but not rare.

8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I think I would be right around $75 -$100. I guess I am cheap.

9. JBGood

I'm on a Constantine binge, and it's large and well struck. I do like the type as well. I just pulled the trigger so it's done.

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Bing has the answer: the early issues of Constantine as Caesar are scarce. It's also a gem example. I think you did just fine at $140.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. JBGood

Thank you! the vendor got a tad indignant when I suggested $125.

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. John Anthony

Eh...that never bothers me. It never hurts to ask.

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The kind of dealer that gets indignant easily does not last long. It turns out he was right since you paid more. I probably would have paid the $125 and I'm cheaper than most. In 20 years you still will be glad you have the coin.

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It's a terrific coin and I would've 'pulled the trigger' at that price considering all everyone has said and 'researched'...

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice coin JB, details are awesome!!

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. Bing

If Doug says he would have paid $125, then you have a good deal.

17. JBGood

This thread has "ranged me" on Constantine and Family larger size bronzes. Rarity aside, good surface, strike and centering is a $100-125ish type value deal. I need a reference point. Thanks to all who contributed.

18. John Anthony

For scarcer types anyway. Common folles in EF can be found in the $50 to $100 range. The coin you bought is not at all common in that grade.

19. JBGood

thank you JA.

I'm trying to get a frame of reference for this time period (probably the most productive period in ancient coin making history) in terms of coin size.

For an impeccable 30mm coin I say (because I learned it today) that $100ish is a reasonable staring place.

For same quality AE3 coins $50 to $100 is also reasonable.

I know there are a million other variables but some reference is needed in a general way such that a conversation can be started with a seller or, if the "ask" is magnitudes higher, avoided all together or until other data is gathered.

A great discussion so far.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I disagree here. The Constantine as Caesar in AE1 size is a rare item. Add to that the fact that this specimen was very good looking and had a better than average reverse type. I said I'd pay $125 and Bing called me a cheapskate which is to Bing and I considered a great compliment. An AE3 ordinary Constantine as Augustus (99.9% of his coins are as Augustus) even in high grade is not worth $50 IMHO unless it has something special going for it. There are rare reverses and rare mintmarks that will sell for the big money but the difference in Constantine as Caesar and Augustus added to the size (matters, in this case) is a lot more than allowed in the theory posted above.

From this we need to be careful not to assume too much. For example, Constantine II is very common as Caesar and less so as Augustus but even being scarce adds very little $$ to those coins unless there is a special circumstance at work. There is more demand for the coins of Constantine I as Caesar because of the backstory on how he became Caesar and Augustus (ugly politics). We have not even mentioned the other choice. Below is a Constantine I as 'friend of the Augustus' (FIL AVG), a title I would not have called the man to his face if I went back in time.
    rx4560bb1669.jpg

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Draft saved Draft deleted