Valuable US Coins Since 1965

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GSDykes, Dec 26, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Along with the late J. T. Stanton, I find some great values in MS circulation US coins, MODERN coins. From 1966 to present. I am not referring to error coins, but rather coins in MS, either from roll hunting, or mint sets. I shall display a number of these on this thread as time allows. It takes me time to do the photography (I am learning).

The reason being is to demonstrate that there is significant value amongst the modern US coins (even the sandwiches). For you roll searchers, I hope this stimulates you to keep searching, even in pocket change. Please contribute. I shall begin with a 2005 D Roosevelt dime. Not a SMS issue, nor a satin finish, but a MS normal business strike. Keep in mind that the high values are only seen in the higher grades (MS 67 -70). This coin I found in a roll of dimes, in 2005. It is what a high grade dime looks like, it is not slabbed.
    The 5th edition of the Mega Red book will serve as price/value suggestions (retail).

dime_2005D_final.jpg

The above is graded by yours truly as MS 68. No visible nicks or scratches visible to the naked eye. Great original luster, and FT (i.e. the upper and lower torch bands are distinct and divided). Mega Red shows a MS 67 (FT) as $70.00. This coin is probably worth more, do zoom-in. Below is a slabbed example from NGC. Date of the NGC sales offer - Dec. 2019. It is not even FT, apparently.

upload_2019-12-26_18-57-53.png

So I shall post more valuable modern coins, shortly, dimes, nickels, quarters and cents, all from 1966 onwards. Share what you have as well.

Gary in Washington state

ripple and furham like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Gary nice roosie. You sure about FT? Can't see the distinct bands in your photo as it is a bit grainy when zoomed in.

GSDykes likes this.
  4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

She is a beauty, but IMO, the major tpgs might not go as high as MS68 on this one (just what I am getting via the pics above). I am a bit concerned what is on the obverse field under L I B (if not some artifact of your photo) and not sure how lustrous it is. Just thought because you have it in hand and I don't.

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I know you are on to something as quite a few business strike LMCs from the 70s are worth hundreds at MS67; just finding them at that grade is the trick!

ripple likes this.
  6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

The Nickels from that era that are FS, go for a lot too Meow would think.

GSDykes likes this.
  7. GSDykes

yes, some do!

8. GSDykes

Below a 1973 P Quarter, from a mint set. It is close to MS 66, the many tiny abrasions are not visible to the naked eye. Has nice luster. Value $25 -$100, but see below a PCGS slab, via EBAY:

quarter_73_2x2.jpg

upload_2019-12-27_9-42-20.png

Certainly hard to find in pocket change, but can be found in mint rolls. Again the quarter came from a mint set, via which they can still be found, Mega Red shows one at MS 67 for $175.00.
    Gary in Washington

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. GSDykes

Sorry about the graininess. The ISO was way too high. But it is definitely FT. I am working on producing less grain, which is tough with real shiney coins, using too much filtration.
    Gary

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Gotcha. Try indirect lighting or axial lighting. Block the direct light coming from the bulb to the coin surface but use a piece of glass or some other reflective surface to bounce light onto the coin surface. Works well on proof coins!

GSDykes likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What's wrong with 1965?

12. GSDykes

Below is a 1969 D Jefferson nickel. It is not full step,it has one step. However is a MS 66 coin. I got it in a 1969 mint roll. It has great luster. Mega Red lists it as $115.00, at MS 66. Rolls of uncirculated 1969 nickels can still be found (bought)

nickel_1969D_2x2 copy.jpg

And look what happens if a nice one in the uncirculated roll has 4 steps!!

1969D_nickel_NGC.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  13. GSDykes

Nothing, lets see some. I just try to avoid the Special Mint Sets (SMS), as I try to illustrate MS coins. 1965 is fine if not SMS, as well as 1966 and 1967.
    Gary in Washington

CoinCorgi likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@GSDykes I would avoid referencing active Buy It Now auctions as legitimate values. Ebay sellers can list any price they want and there are lots of BIN asking process that are out of touch with reality. In addition, Redbook values are compiled many months before the issue date, so I would use them as a relative guide, not an actual indication of the current market.

If you want to use ebay information, I recommend using the prices for coins that have sold. You may also want to look at prices in the latest issue of the Gray Sheet. Looking at sold listings for sites like Great Collections and even Heritage for some of the elusive high grade dates will also strengthen your claim regarding the rarity/desirability of modern issues.

@cladking posts frequently about the difficulty of finding nice examples of modern coinage. You may want to search the archives and read some of his comments as well

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I agree with hoopster's assessment. With the popularity of modern coin grading, thus leaves larger pops within some of these dates as submissions grow. There are top pop coins from the 80's and 90's that I wouldn't invest in because the supply is much higher than the current demand. Let alone actually sending the coins out for grading yourself. A lot of the big players in the modern coin grading game send out many dozens, if not hundreds of coins with a bulk submission (you can visualize the many thousands of dollars each grading submission is). It's not realistic to send just one coin and expect to achieve the top grade for the date.

16. GSDykes

Hoopster and Kookoox

Thank you for responding. Perhaps I can clarify what this thread is about.

Indeed, a single high grade coin can receive a top grade, IF it is a good high grade coin. This has nothing to do with the grading for big wholesalers. I am not advocating top POP, just nice grades which are illustrated in the current REDBOOK, as I demonstrated above, perhaps you all missed that. The EBAY samples are actually promoted by NGC and in accord with their CURRENT pricing indexes, if not lower.
    Who cares if there are 500 slabbed MS 70's of a certain coin. Many buyers may not afford the high asking prices, that is why MS66, 67 are popular. Yes if the demand is there the coins sell. Yet we already know that though (for example) over 690,000,000 1970 S cents were minted, only a few survivors are MS 67! Otherwise some of them would not be currently listed at $550.00 plus dollars. Consider a 1970 S, large, + in MS 68!! Look it up. I will leave it to the experts who form the grey sheets and REDBOOK guides to help guide the market, unless you are such experts. Heritage and the TPGS also have an idea of rarity.
    upload_2019-12-28_1-42-45.png
    You gentlemen could help by posting your modern high grades to help stimulate collector's interests and dreams, or perhaps you are dealers who will submit 643 MS 67 1970 S samples for grading! :blackeye: (please see the humor and absurdity of such a submission of 643 of these coins in MS 67!!). Look below I added another reply!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. GSDykes

The following extract is from:

http://rg.ancients.info/guide/prices.html
    circa 2013

GREYSHEET

Officially called the Coin Dealer Newsletter, this is a pricey subscription periodical, costing $98 per year (you can buy the current issue for $4). It's the most commonly used price guide by dealers in setting their own prices, and though it contains wholesale prices, it's a good choice for savvy collectors too. The prices are based on coins graded according to industry standards "as exemplified by PCGS and NGC," though pricing for properly graded raw coins is considered too in the compilation of its figures.

Greysheet "bid" is the amount that dealers are typically willing to pay other dealers for a coin. Greysheet "ask" is the price dealers typically ask other dealers for a coin, which is higher. For collectors, one rule of thumb is to add 25 to 75 percent to Greysheet bid when you're buying and to subtract 10 to 40 percent from bid when selling.

The Bluesheet, officially called the Certified Coin Dealer Newsletter, includes bid prices for "sight-unseen" slabbed coins. These prices are lower than prices in the Greysheet.

The Greysheet's biggest weakness is that it ignores the current state of the grading services. It ranks some of the services in terms of how the market values coins in their slabs. But it fails to rank SEGS, ACG, and NTC, three grading services that have a significant market presence. And it ranks two grading services with virtually no market presence, INS (International Numismatic Society Authentication Bureau), which folded around 1992, and NCI (Numismatic Certification Institute), which folded around 1988. Whether deserved or not, this creates an aura of unreliability over all of its data.

https://www.ha.com/
    About Heritage's Value Index

You have to register to access this information, but registration is free. The prices are based on wholesale and auction transactions for PCGS and NGC certified coins, which encompasses not only Heritage auctions but other observations of the marketplace.

Impressively, pricing is given for a wide range of grades and include a range rather than a single value. With Morgan dollars, for instance, prices are included for forty different grades: P-1, FR-2, AG-3, G-4, G-6, VG-8, VG-10, F-12, F-15, VF-20, VF-25, VF-30, VF-35, XF-40, XF-45, AU-50, AU-53, AU-55, AU-58, MS-60, MS-61, MS-62, MS-63, MS-64, MS-65, MS-66, MS-67, MS-68, MS-69, MS-70, PR-61, PR-62, PR-63, PR-64, PR-65, PR-66, PR-67, PR-68, PR-69, and PR-70.

You can also use the site to search for individual auction results. [END OF EXTRACT]

I could go on and on. Retail verses wholesale (or prices of slabs between dealers). But the bottom line is:

If you like the coin buy it at a price you deem fair, (this is where education enters in) I have often paid high retail for a coin I wanted, price was not the number one issue. Also sell for what you can get, and yes EBAY sales can be poor guides as numerous coins there have hidden flaws, or offered by greedy souls, (not to demean those sellers with integrity!!).
    Again my purpose herein is to illustrate some of the values attached to certain high grade modern US coins, as some folks see absolutely no value amongst modern (post 1964) US coinage, they also may consider the poor designs, the lack of precious metals, and the billions minted - as a bane to the collecting hobby. I see some value there, and wish to encourage young collectors, and revive collecting interest for some of these rarities, in high grade. There are some valuable coins out there, perhaps even in your pocket!

Hope this clarifies,
    Gary in Washington

RonSanderson likes this.
  18. GSDykes

With a lens I cannot see the artifact, I suspect it appears via my inept efforts to photograph, stray light from the overhead dining room light (I am learning to turn it off before shooting). Thank you for you inquiry. By the way it is a gleaming white knock-out, very nice dime, not ever for sale.
    Gary in Washington

19. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I've played the top pop. and made over 6,000.00 dollars between both coins . Had 15 dollars in the grade, plus the dollar coin . The other coin was a dime, which I has 14.10 cent in that one .

Now I collect early die state, variety coins, and have cleaned up in that to ...

Kasia and GSDykes like this.
  20. GSDykes

Below is a 1987 P Quarter, from a mint set. (By the way I purchased about 40 mints sets, and am still reaping nice coins from them). Mega REDBOOK, 5th edition, shows it in MS 66 as $40.00 retail, and in MS 67 as $200.00. This coin is certainly MS66 OR MS67. It is proof-like, so I used axial photography to capture its surface. (Do note that in this type of photography, even the most minute scratches, or blemishes show up). In hand it is a beauty.

Quarter_87P_2x2 copy.jpg
    In this condition, it is somewhat rare, but certainly some mint sets contain equal beauties. Data below is from Heritage auctions and EBAY:

Quarter87P_HA.jpg
    The above is quite dull compared to mine:

quarter87p_pop.jpg
    Alas, none at MS68, and only 18 at MS 67, though a few more may yet emerge. So out of over 582,000,000 coins ~35 exist slabbed as MS 67. This POP report was suggested, obliquely, by Hoopster and Kookoox, thanks fellas. (Ooops, I just noticed a licensing restriction in the above image, so I thank PCGS for the data above, hope this calms them).

quarter87p_EBAY.jpg

ANACS, a bit high, as is common on EBAY, but it does suggest that this modern coin, has some value-in the higher grades. Imagine locating one grading at MS 68!!
    Gary in Washington

21. GSDykes

Yes Razz, thank you, axial for the glossy ones sure helps. Thank you.
    Gary in Washington

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted