Valuable pennies ??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BeastOakland510, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BeastOakland510

BeastOakland510 New Member

D9B31205-4DA9-415A-8247-C6B3E2287E9B.jpeg Hey all I’m pretty new to the coin collectors world and just have a few questions regarding my 1956 to 1969 pennies. First and foremost I wanted real solid opinion on the condition of my coins and if there’s any real value on them for me to get graded. I’ve watched a lot of youtube videos on various coins and also did quite a lot of studying for the past couple weeks on coins. I have a whole bunch of coins to go through so look out for my various posts, thanks ya !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Well Lincoln cents are a good place to start, their easy to come by. What got you interested in coins?

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

They appear to be normal cents worth no more than a cent or two. If you have specific questions it is best to post good pictures of both sides of a coin. Some of them appear to have been harshly cleaned, this is considered damage and would have really hurt the value if they had been better coins. Be careful on the youtube videos, while some are quite informative, many are completely useless full of false information.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ditto on the cleaning. What a great start! Probably not worth the expense of grading. And besides you can’t touch the history you hold when they are graded. Welcome to a fulfilling hobby that will hold your interests a lifetime. It’s held me for more than fifty years!

6. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

Here's a post that I wrote for a different thread but it is pertinent to your question as well so I've simply copied it and added to it.

For wheat cents (pre-1959)
    Anything prior to 1935 has value.
    From 1935 to 1958, it only has value if it is uncirulated. (Circulated late-date wheat cents generally bring around 3 cents each IN BULK -- meaning you may get $3 for a bag of a hundred but no one is going to bother to pay you 3 cents for a single coin).

For memorial/shield cents (1959 to today)
    Circulated examples are worth 1 cent.
    Uncirculated examples have a small premium value to them depending on the date.

For both types, there are a handful of well-known error coins. Coins like the 1955 doubled die and the 1972 doubled die bring big bucks. There is also a less valuable 1995 doubled die. But the odds of finding one of these in circulation is very slim -- although it has been known to happen. Also, there are a few well-known varieties that are hard to find but with a good eye, they can be found: 1970 and 1982 small date vs. large date, 1992, 98, 99, 00 Wide AM vs. Narrow AM, etc. A good guide book will list these varities and explain what to look for.

The best advice I can give you is to pick up a copy of the Redbook ("A Guidebook of US Coins") at a local library or book store

And to echo Randy above, this is a hobby that can become a lifetime passion. I've been collecting for over 40 years and it's never gotten old.

7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Current circulation Lincoln cents.

Worth a cent for all but the 1956 which goes for 3¢.

The copper in them is worth a bit more than a cent but it is illegal to melt them and illegal to export them in quantity for that purpose.

You can buy an album and begin to collect them by date and mint.

You can also get them grade (VF-XF IMHO) but it can cost upwards of $50 each and will add nothing to their value.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Give me a break! The copper content is not worth more than one cent because each coin is an alloy and not Grade A copper. If it were legal to melt copper cents (which it is not) it would cost much more to extract the copper. This has been discussed many, many times on these forums. Where have you been?

Chris

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As others have said, the coins aren't worth much but it looks like you have a good start of a collection.

I also agree with the you tube comments. There is so much junk and completely incorrect information that it's very difficult to find the ones with useful information.

If you read the posts on here for awhile (and ignore the "fun and excitement" an anonymous forum can generate) you'll start picking up some knowledge.

I strongly recommend going out and buying a copy "A Guidebook of United States COins" by Yoeman. Don't worry too much about using it as a price guide, but it's filled with a tremendous amount of info that is great for a new collector

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Gonna stand back, duck behind cover, and watch the stuff fly.

Steve

11. BeastOakland510

Well I’m a truck driver so I listen to a lot of YouTube videos while on the road and my suggestion box randomly played a video of a penny being worth 6k. At first the money was what interested me being that coins that I have at home can possibly be worth that much money was insane to me. A well or so passes by and with a lot of studying and research on coin history it became a sudden interest for me . Being that I am only 25 and history does excite me , I thought it would be cool to get into a hobby such as this one !

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Theoretically, it's possible to find coins worth thousands in your change, but the probability is extremely low. Some of the odds are probably comparable with the powerball, but they never mention that.

In other cases, the coins are worth money because they are in the ultimate, pristine condition and you're not going to find that in change. It's almost like searching all of the used car lots looking for 1950's Corvette with 100 miles on the odometer. Theoretically, it could happen, but in all reality...

Based on your stated interest in history, starting to save as many different dates and mintmarks of cents (nickels are easy and cheap too), will be a great start. Once again, take a look at the Guidebook I recommended (called the redbook by people in the hobby). It's filled with a lot of historical information about US Coins.

Best of luck and welcome to the hobby.

13. BeastOakland510

Thanks for the advice ! Much appreciated!

14. BeastOakland510

Hey hopefully this hobby keeps me up as long as you ! Thank you !

15. BeastOakland510

You info was very useful to me in understanding the different varieties of pennies ! I appreciate all the positive comments I am receiving from you all and hopefully my passion for coin hunting takes me as far as it has taken you guys !

16. David Setree Rare Coins

My scrap yard buy brass at very close to the price that it pays for either #1 or #2 copper.

When's the last time you went scraping metal?

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is a big difference between copper alloy and #2 copper. Do your homework!

Chris

18. David Setree Rare Coins

Ah Chris never mind.

I'll just keep making money.

It's easier than doing homework.

Draft saved Draft deleted