Validity of coin grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 0000, Aug 22, 2017.

1. 0000

0000 Member

I was just want your opinion on this question. If a coin was in certain grade when it was graded, and over the years have developed ugly tone through improper handling such as sun exposure, would the original grade still be valid?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Ok first of all, please note this is not in any way an area of expertise for me. That being said, here is my best shot at an answer. I would say that as long as the coin was in the proper type of slab which has not been tampered with, the grade would still be deemed "valid". However the "eye appeal" which is subjective from person to person, though there are strong tendencies in the community, would be deminished to some extent or another. This would mean although the grade itself hasn't suffered the price most likely will have.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Gee, that's a hard one! Suppose that your wife, who was slender and beautiful when you married her, became fat and ugly after giving birth to four or five kids. Would you ask her for a divorce?

Chris:yuck:;)

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In most cases yes the grade is still valid but as mentioned it may become harder to sell. In extreme cases it could be enough where the grade should be changed, but there is no standard one size fits all answer to that question.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No. Even the TPGs down-grade coins on a regular basis. If the coin changes, the grade changes too.

It IS NOT the plastic that determines the grade of the coin, it is the coin !

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

AMEN!!!

britannia40 likes this.
  8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

No.

Even in plastic, coins can sustain damage and will necessarily be down graded.

9. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If a gold or silver coin downgrades because of toning while in a holder, you should be compensated under the grading guarantee of the TPG or they may provide free conservation to bring it back (their option, not yours). I don't think copper color is guaranteed, but the numerical grade is.

Holders are not airtight or watertight, so be careful where you store them. Storing in sunlight is a bad idea.

Cal

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The new PCGS holders are waterproof to an extent.

11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Even if they are waterproof, the plastic they are composed of is differentially permeable to many, many elements. In other words: the elements (such as sulfur) goes right through the molecules of the plastic.

12. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Ummmmm........:p

13. GDJMSP

Not only would I, I did. Twice ! And both times it was only after 1 kid.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it :yack:

15. GDJMSP

Hey, I remembered, and I waited 15 years in between marriages besides ! :p

And no there aint gonna be no next time !

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Was it the "fat and ugly" part, or was it the "kids" part that made you ask for a divorce?

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if it is the result of improper storage. That is in their guarantees. Frankly their guarantees are void if the coin deteriorates after slabbing. That's in the guarantee too.

18. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Coins not only can change grade but also color as many tone inside slab. Several have even corroded due to chemicals used months after being sealed up. Coin doctors can do amazing things to get coins graded but alot of times its only a temporary fix.

19. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Yup, you are right about what the guarantee currently states. A couple of years ago, I heard David Hall speak about PCGS paying out lots of money for coins that changed in the holder, but he must have been speaking about past policies.

Cal

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did the sun damage the plastic or the label?

21. 0000

0000 Member

No, plastic and label look new and untouched.

Draft saved Draft deleted