ValiantKnight's 10 Favorite Coins of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Dec 21, 2019.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

If I had to categorize my 2019, I'd say more "eclectic". It feels like I got at least a little of everything that I currently collect to any extent. I bought Greek, Roman Republic, early Empire, mid Empire, provincials, late Empire, Byzantine, Islamic, small coins, large coins, oddly shaped coins, etc. I still have my longtime collecting focuses, of course, but I've managed to find more interest in and acquire more coins in collecting areas I had not paid much attention to in the past, or had mostly sidelined. I also put more emphasis on obtaining higher quality pieces (compared to years past) whenever possible, while still continuing to compromise with rarities if needed. It was a fun, reflective experience putting this list together, and I am looking forward to your comments and what your favorites are.

10) I have a brother in Jordan

I happen to have a soft spot for coins of Maurice Tiberius, and have made it a particular focus of mine to acquire ones with nice portraits. This one I feel is all around attractive: portrait, great detail, good size, and green patina. Also, the obverse legend is a bit more distinctive, since instead of AVG or a variation thereof, it simply expands the abbreviation of “perpetuus” by adding the S, making it “PPS”. The “AV” in “MAV” has also been combined in a monogram-like format. I only found one other example online of this obverse type, published in a catalog of Byzantine coins stored in the collection of the Jordan Ahli Bank Numismatic Museum, located in Jordan. Mine is an obverse die match to this other example.

mtfollis.jpg
    Maurice Tiberius, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N mAV TIBERI PPS, helmeted, cuirassed bust right, holding cross in left and shield in right
    Rev: Large M, ANNO to left, cross above, A below, regnal year VI to right
    Mint: Constantinople
    Mintmark: CON (in exergue)
    Date: 587 AD
    Ref: SB 494

9) In this case it's good to be a square!

Ever since first learning about it, I am very interested in the fact that the Greeks made it all the way to the Indian subcontinent and Central Asia; at first glance, these areas do not seem like they would be associated with the ancient Greeks. But one day, Alexander went on an Indian vacation, and here we are. For me, this association makes Greek coins from these regions exotic in a way. I am also often intrigued by obscure and little-known rulers (can’t imagine plenty of you have heard of Queen Agathokleia; I didn’t either until coming across my coin). Not to mention that it is a dual issue that names both the queen regent and her son.

ASt.jpg

Agathokleia and Strato I, Indo-Greek Kingdom
    AE square unit
    Obv: BAΣIΛIΣΣHΣ / ΘEOTPOΠOY / AΓAΘOKΛEIAΣ, Helmeted bust of Athena (or Agathokleia) right
    Rev: "Maharajasa / tratarasa dhra / mikasa stratasa" in Kharoshthi, Herakles seated left on rock, holding club in right hand, monogram to left
    Mint: ? (Bactria)
    Date: 128-123 BC
    Ref: MIG 307

8) Barely clinging on to history

I already had an example of this type for a while now, but it was in particularly poor shape. It was not a strong urge, but I had a desire to upgrade it whenever I came across a decent one within my budget (not to mention the Chi-Rho reverse is one of my favorite LRB types). Fortunately, @Victor_Clark had this example in his inventory. It had some remaining dirt, so this became a fun cleaning job as well for me. I mostly focused on the reverse. Worked some on the obverse, but some dirt was left as I felt that it looked fine by that point and did not want to risk damaging it. It was struck by the usurper Poemenius (for Constantius II), who is only known to history from one line in one of Ammianus Marcellinus’s works. Here is a well-written study from Walter C. Holt on the revolt of Poemenius and the numismatics behind it: https://www.academia.edu/1504998/Usurping_a_Usurper_The_Poemenius_Revolt_at_Trier

poemen.jpg

Poemenius in the name of Constantius II, Western Roman Empire
    AE2
    Obv: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: SALVS AVG NOSTRI, large Chi-Rho flanked by A-W
    Mint: Trier
    Mintmark: TRP
    Date: 352 AD
    Ref: RIC VIII 332

7) The bright light of "Dark Ages" Europe

One area of collecting I’ve had designs on is coins from the Iberian Peninsula (more specifically, what is now Spain, part of my ancestral history). But unfortunately, I have not made many in-roads. Visigothic is often rather pricey. Pre-Roman Iberian is usually in poor shape and not worth the price asked (so I still do not have any). And for whatever reason, the Julio-Claudian-era stuff just does not hold my interest much. I really wanted coins from Spain’s early Islamic past, but was pretty lost as to knowing what I was seeing was really of Al-Andalus (I do not read Arabic). So I did a bit of studying, including comparing styles and memorizing the exact Arabic word for “Al-Andalus”. And so I felt confident when I purchased this example.

alhakamvk.jpg

Al-Hakam I, Emirate of Cordoba
    AR dirham
    Obv: (center, in Arabic) "There is no God but Allah. He has no equal"
    (in margins, in Arabic) “In the name of Allah. this Dirham was struck in al-Andalus in the year six and ninety and one-hundred ” (AH 196)
    Rev: (center, in Arabic) "Allah is One God. The eternal and indivisible, who has not begotten, and has not been begotten and never is there His equal"
    (in margins, in Arabic) “Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it”
    Mint: Cordoba (al-Andalus)
    Date: 811-812 AD
    Ref: Album 340

6) “Menandering” his way to sixth place!

Similar motivations as the Agathokleia, but also the fact that I had wanted a helmeted Menander, since this portrait type on the tetradrachm is, in my opinion, one of the most attractive of all Greek coins. The tetradrachms are currently not being considered solely out of respect for my bank account, but I managed to acquire the next best thing: a lovely drachm of his which also has a helmeted portrait. I was surprised at how low it had been priced; I suspect the dark patches of horn silver had something to do with this (but I myself do not find it distracting).

menanderdrachm.jpg

Menander I, Indo-Greek Kingdom
    AR drachm
    Obv: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ MENANΔPOY, helmeted, draped bust right
    Rev: "Maharajasa tratarasa / menamdrasa" in Kharoshthi, Athena Alkidemos standing left seen from behind, holding shield on left arm, hurling thunderbolt in right hand, PA monogram to right
    Mint: ? (Bactria)
    Date: 160-145 BC
    Ref: BMC 8

5) Justinian rockin’ that barbarian bowl-cut!

As some on here may remember, one of my “things” is Byzantine coins from Italy, which started during, and continued for a few centuries after, Justinian’s invasion of the Ostrogothic Kingdom. What I like about this half-follis in particular is the more-conical, bowl-haircut, shaped hairstyle; more in line with the coins made under Gothic rulers that ruled before than the Byzantine coins struck out east. I also particularly like the sideways “S” in the first half of the obverse legend, and am a bit intrigued by the lack of the final “S” in Justinian’s name. I guess the engraver ran out of space? Its also chunky like a later Roman tetradrachm, and happens to be my second Rome half-follis of Justinian

justromhalf.jpg

Justinian I, Byzantine Empire
    AE half-follis
    Obv: D N IVSTI-NIANVS, diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Large K, star to left, cross to right, all within wreath
    Mint: Rome
    Date: 537-542 AD
    Ref: SB 301

4) You have a big (Greek) head!

Simply put, I wanted to add another nice, large Greek tetradrachm to my collection at the time. And I was, and currently am, looking to expand my Seleucid collection as well.There were two of this type from this particular seller. The other example I was considering because the portrait on that one was slightly more centered. The downside to it was that, compared to my example, Athena was engraved in a more amateur style. Also, I believe I remembered there were some slight surface issues on the obverse of that other coin. So, I bought my coin, and have not had any regrets. It is a very stunning portrait in hand.

antvii.jpg

Antiochus VII, Seleucid Kingdom
    AR tetradrachm
    Obv: Diademed head right within border
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEΡΓETOY, Athena standing left, holding Nike in right hand, spear, and shield decorated with face in left hand
    Mint: Antioch
    Date: 138-129 BC
    Ref: HGC 1067

3) A well-fed Roman siliqua

I am and will always be a big fan of siliquae, even if my wallet is not. One day, I had the urge for a nice, affordable one, and this coin fit the bill. The style is well-made and well-detailed for a late Roman (maybe standards were higher in the mint of Constantius’s birthplace?), and I love me good, clear Latin. But what also attracted me to this siliqua was its larger size than typical siliquae (3.31 gr, 22 mm wide). It is closer to the weight of the first siliquae under Constantine I, struck in a time where siliqua size had already been reduced.

constantiussiliqua.jpg

Constantius II, Roman Empire
    AR siliqua
    Obv: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VOTIS XXX / MVLTIS XXXX, all within wreath
    Mint: Sirmium
    Mintmark: SIRM
    Date: 357-361 AD
    Ref: RIC VIII 15

2) Born of war

Ever since I started dedicating myself several years ago to collecting Byzantine Italy, I had in my sights the rare Rome-mint follis of Justinian I. It’s neither the rarest nor most valuable the Byzantine Italian types, but is still desirable, and often pricey. Fortunately, after two showed up in the same CNG sale that were out of my budget, a more affordable one came up on a different venue at fixed price, and I immediately pounced on it before anyone else had a chance to. It compliments the two Justinian Rome half folles I currently own pretty nicely. There are two styles to Justinian folles and half-folles from Rome: a higher, quality “good” style, and a crude “poorer” style. Mine is the former. Searching around for more Rome folles to look at and study, I discovered an obverse die match to mine, so this was interesting to find as well.

justinianromefollisVK.jpg

Justinian I, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, bust right
    Rev: Large M, cross above, cross to left, star to right, all within wreath
    Mint: Rome
    Mintmark: ROMA (in exergue)
    Date: 537-542 AD
    Ref: SB 293

1) Another one for the flock

It feels only natural that my relatively recent conversion to the Greek side of ancient coin collecting would eventually lead me to an Athens Owl tetradrachm (I partially blame Assassin’s Creed Odyssey for this as well!). I wanted the most famous type of all the owl types (okay, an archaic would have been nice too!), and I wanted one with as much of the portrait and crest on the flan as possible. All on a budget (see a theme here?). It was this coin that prompted me to participate in my first-ever auction house auction (non-eBay, non-CT). Not bad for my first auction win, I think.

vksowl.jpg

Attica, Athens
    AR tetradrachm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig to left, crescent behind, AΘE to right, all within incuse square
    Date: 454-404 BC
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 31
    Size: 17.19g, 24mm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some great coins there VK, fantastic owl for your first auction win, WOW what a score.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great looking coins. I am partial to the Maurice Tiberius and the Constantius siliqua. Looks like you had a good 2019 overall. Looking forward to 2020!

5. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Indeed, another coin eclector who spent 2019 coin eclecting - a la TypeCoin971793, who posted his "eclectic top 10" earlier.

Impressive group, VK.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I fail to understand how Poemenius choosing to support the legitimate emperor Constantius II over the junior usurper Decentius gets him classified as a usurper rather than a hero. Yes, Constantius did not use or approve the type selected but the point here is that the coins were issued in his name in support of the end of the Magnentius/Decentius usurpation.
    The coins come in two variations of headgear on the portrait (with and without rosettes).
    rx6340bb0878.jpg rx6350bb2230.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's hard to beat an Athenian Owl, but that Constantius II siliqua is fantastic!!

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a whole buncha interesting and excellent goodies you welcomed into your collection this year, VK. My favorites are the Owl (excellent pick), Constantius siliqua, and Menander.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great job with the acquisitions, @ValiantKnight ... some very nice ones! You have some GREAT captions, and I like the Poemenius history. Great collection!

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a wide variety you've collected this year-- classics, rarities... all very interesting. Many of the coins and eras you collect are outside of my limited range of knowledge but it's always fun seeing someone else dig deep :).

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You picked up some really nice coins VK! They are all interesting and great historical aspects. I really love the square Baktrian example:happy: The Islamic Caliphate coinage from Spain are fascinating!
    John

12. ValiantKnight

Thanks all for the comments and likes!

panzerman likes this.
  13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

The owl is just outstanding. I find your Justinian follis minted at Rome in the 6th century most intriguing. That was a most turbulent and transformative time - politically, culturally, and even linguistically.

14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

You had an interesting year, thanks for sharing. I like your owl, siliqua and especially -
    a favorite I have yet to buy.

15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins VK. My favorites are your new owl, the beautiful siliqua and the Antiochos VII tet.

16. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Excellent coins, I like large Chi-Rho and siliqua of Constantius II.

17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

ValiantKnight, You did well this year with a nice variety of handsome coins :D! My favorites are #2 & 5, since I've been leaning heavily towards Byzantine & Barbarian coinage this year :).

18. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Great coins and write ups! I was actually planning on purchasing that Constantius II siliqua ;) it is a phenomenal example of the earlier standard/'heavy siliqua'.

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

My favorite is the siliqua, it's a fantastic coin
    Congrats an a great year, with some "must have" the owl being at the top of them

Q

20. ValiantKnight

Thanks for the additional replies!
    Definitely! And even through all the change and decline, Rome’s reputation remained and made it still highly sought after. I like to imagine Justinian’s reaction upon hearing that Rome had been reunited with its empire again, and later on maybe having received a Rome follis like this one as a kind of trophy.

octavius likes this.
  21. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins, congratz with the nice additions. Your number 3 is really nice, and my favorite of your list.

Draft saved Draft deleted