Valerian/Gallienus Father/Son Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Oct 14, 2018.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I was going through a small lot of coins that I'd recently won in an auction and discovered something neat - a pair of father/son coins.
    Both coins are from the same Eastern mint, possibly Antioch. One is of Valerian, the other his son, Gallienus. Both coins have the same reverse: VIRT-VS AV-GG - Valerian and Gallienus, standing, facing each other. The figure on the left, probably Gallienus (because of its slightly smaller stature) is holding a spear and handing Valerian, on the right, a globe, while Valerian is holding a transverse spear in his left hand and holding up Victory in his right.

Valerian (RIC 293, 20mm, 4.4g) - IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG
    Valerian.jpg

Gallienus (RIC 456, 21mm, 3.6g) - IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS P F AVG
    Gallienus1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is so cool!

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins gsimonel. To take the thread into another generation, here is Gallenius's son Valerian II. These are my first of this ruler, got 'em both this month. I like their startled-looking portraits - given his biography, Valerian II had a lot to be startled about

Valerian II Oct 2018 (1).JPG

Valerian II Antoninianus
    (son of Gallienus)
    (c. 256-258 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata Mint

VALERIANVS NOBIL CAES, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust rt. / PRINC IVVENTVTIS prince standing crowning trophy to left, holding spear and shield.
    RIC 49; Göbl 1694b; RSC 67a.
    (3.26 grams / 21 x 18 mm)

Valerian II Spes Oct 2018 (1).JPG
    Valerian II Antoninianus
    (son of Gallienus)
    (c. 256-258 A.D.)
    Antioch or Samosata Mint

[V]ALERIANVS NOBIL CAES, radiate, draped bust right / [SPES P]VBLICA, Spes advancing left, with flower, raising hem of robe.
    RIC 52A Antioch; Sear 10740; Göbl 1695b Samosata.
    (3.33 grams / 21 mm)

TIF, chrsmat71, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are quite a few family groups in Roman history that issued coins with the same reverses. You could make a small specialty collection on that theme. Another thing to watch for are coins with multiple family members on the same coin. This Provincial AE25 of Nicomedia has Valerian I, Gallienus and Valerian II. The reverse shows three prize urns from the games.
    pp2565fd3175.jpg

zumbly, chrsmat71, TIF and 2 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool family combo @gsimonel !

I'm quite fond of this coin...

[​IMG]

Valerian antoninianus , AD 257
    O: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, IMP VALERIANVS AVG, R: Valerian and Gallienus standing facing one another, each holding shield set on ground; two spears between in background, P M TR P V COS IIII P P RIC V, 277. Antioch mint. 5th emission. 21 mm, 3.2 g

TIF, Bing, Johndakerftw and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted