Valentinian I Solidus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Slabbed gold is even harder to photograph. Took several attempts and different lighting positions to get the toning to reflect as it appears in hand. I don't know much about gold toning; but from a little research and referring to AJ's posts, is it safe to say that this was a hoard find?
    Valentinian I Solidus 35 percent.png
    Valentinian I AV Solidus. Trier Mint. 364-367 AD. D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust / RESTITVTOR REIPVBLICAE, emperor standing facing in military attire, head right, holding vexillum & Victory on globe, dot to right of vexillum shaft, TR * in ex

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I own no gold, but someday.....

Nice looking coin with good detail.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Nice, love the toning.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin.I like the detail on the reverse.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific coin!!!!--------Who doesn't love gold, especially of ancients???

My only example of a gold 'Roman' coin is one I just purchased--a Byzantine tremissis of Heraclius; Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust with cross potent CONOB on the reverse---minted in Constantinople circa 610 AD.

Heraclius gold tremisses.jpg

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have no ancient gold either, but lovely addition.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, what a pretty coin...and that's a awesome tremessis MZ.

i was interesting in the color of the solidus as well, it's beautiful...by why the red highlights? is the gold debased?

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. That's what I've gathered from what I've found online. Whatever small amounts of other metals the coin has been alloyed with has reacted with certain chemicals present in the soil, over a long period of time. I read one article that said this type of toning is typical of hoards. Due to the outer layer of coins forming a barrier, and the gasses emitted from whatever reaction is taking place on that barrier is trapped within for long amounts of time. Hence, the toning reaction with a small amount of reactable metals.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I have heard too. One of my Byzantine solidi looks similar. Many times dealers clean this off to give a more clean gold appearance. I don't any Roman gold yet, just Byzantine, Hunnic, Kushan, and Sogdian.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Besides slabbed, as a NOVICE: How do you authenticate a coin made from a virtually non-reactable metal such as Gold? (I understand the toning of impurities as described above), however, how can you ensure that the ancient gold coin is authentic?
    I have been tempted, but very careful to dip my toe in these Gold waters...

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. medoraman

Actually gold makes authentication easier to me. One, the weight should really have no excuse for being incorrect. Two, since there is not corrosion the type is easier to check against other known examples.

You know the best way though? Buy from a trusted dealer. Ask this board for recommendations if you want.

13. Alegandron

Thank you...excellent response. Appreciate that! My question is rooted in 35 years of manufacturing using all kinds of materials with factories worldwide. To me, gold, being generally non-corrosive in a "normal" environment was a conundrum to authenticate it's age. What you state makes a lot of sense!

14. Alegandron

:) Wow, and I thought I came from a small town (pop. 1,500 in farm country...)
    1. Medora
      City in North Dakota
    2. Medora is a city in Billings County, North Dakota, United States. It is the county seat of, and only incorporated place in Billings County. The population was 112 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dickinson Micropolitan Statistical Area. Wikipedia
    3. Area: 237 acres (96 ha)
    4. Getting there: 7 h 19 min flight, around $785. View flights
    5. Weather: 75°F (24°C), Wind E at 14 mph (23 km/h), 63% Humidity
    6. Population: 129 (2013)
    7. Local time: Tuesday 4:32 PM

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. Alegandron

upload_2015-7-7_18-42-4.png
    Mat... I found this on the floor... did you drop it? :) I love this coin!

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Amazing new addition, iamtiberius (sweet, congrats)

... *rats* ...

=> I only own one measly gold coin (oh, and it's merely an EL Hekte)

But oh my, it is so fricken cool, yes?

Lesbos Mytilene.jpg

... man, I love lesbians (ummm, or I mean I love coins from Lesbos!!)

:woot:

17. Chi Rho symbol vexilum.png
    My father pointed something out after looking at the photo of the Solidus. Located on the Vexillum is a "Chi-Rho" symbol: . The early Christian typographic ligature or Christogram, was used to represent Christ on the cross; by combing the greek letters X & P, which were the first two letters in the Greek name for Christ, ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ.

Of course it's very common on post-Constantine LR coinage to see such Christian symbols; but, my questions is: Why combine it with a Roman, pagan Goddess, such as Nike? Does anyone else have such conflicting symbology on some of their coins? In any event, it's interesting to own a piece of the religious, transitional history.

The irony is that the Byzantine empire would have probably put an engraver to death if he attempted to mix a Roman pagan device with one of their heavily grouped Christian devices on their coinage.

Food for thought.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  18. Alegandron

The way I understand the transition from The Old Religions and Gods throughout the Empire to the Christian God was to associate past traditions and assimilate them into the Christian message. I.E.: Saturnalia was an old Roman holiday period revolving around the Winter Solstice...and was celebrated starting 25-December. The Legionary religion: Mithraism celebrated a supper of Wine, Bread, and Honey... SOooo many ancient religious ceremonies were drawn upon to slowly convert the masses to accept and embrace the new Roman State Religion. It was a transition over many years to get the "Pagan" mind to accept Christianity.

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  19. Alegandron

If you look at other signs in Christian churches: A little known abbreviation was IHS... it stands for "In Hoc Signo...Vinces" or translates from Latin as "By this Sign...Conquer" It is purported that when Constantine the Great was battling Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge for control of the Empire, he looked to the sun (a Mithras symbol!), and saw the cross and made that famous statement. He saw it as a sign to beat Maxentius, and later as a "sign from God", being, on his deathbed, the First Christian Emperor.

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  20. medoraman

Wow. I never knew such a large Medora existed. Mine is referencing Medora, Ia, population 12. I lived there when I joined AOL years ago, (not very creative), and the name stuck, lol.

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Alegandron

LOL!!! :D

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted