Valentinian I AE-3

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

What can I say, it pays to have friends! Literally :shame:!
    A close friend of mine just texted me this. image.jpg
    He said he intends/has bought it and it is a going away gift for me:happy:.
    Looks fine to me, but he could have sent me a .50 cent eBay LRB cull and I would be just as happy. What ya think guys and gals?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

solid LRB and a nice gift!

Ancientnoob and Magnus Maximus like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a very nice example of the type.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I consider this a coin that belongs in every 'complete' general collection since it has the officina number written across the reverse field. It is not at all a bad specimen demonstrating something that never really caught on in coin design. Ill toss in a Valens and Gratian.
    rx7590bb1104.jpg rx7690bb1543.jpg

stevex6, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  6. John Anthony

I have a very-nicely detailed example of this type, but the patina is so odd it's difficult to image...

valentinian (2).jpg

stevex6, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

Very nice coins John and Doug.
    Any idea when this coin was struck( can you narrow it down to a year), and it's purchasing power at the time it was minted?
    Thanks!!

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Personally, I like your new coin, and, being a gift makes it even better. I have a few examples of this coin:
    Valentinian I 6.jpg Valentinian I 2.jpg Valentinian I 3.jpg Valentinian I 4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    stevex6, TIF, dlhill132 and 3 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

AD 364-367 for Val I. Purchasing power I don't know. Probably not much - I think of these as Roman pennies.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We need to research this question. No civilization would make pennies that can't buy anything --- well maybe ours will but no ancient civilization. I look at them more as dollars. It is never easy to pin such things down. If only they had a McDonalds with dollar menu in the 4th century! More of the records we have are from the time of Diocletian rather than Gratian. It will make a difference.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  11. Magnus Maximus

Agreed Doug. I have been looking for a suitable answer to my earlier question, but to no avail.
    I wonder how many nummi it took to buy a cup of wine?:D

Do we at least know the relative values between these LRBs and Siliqua/Solidii?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You will find people who claim to know but there is enough evidence that it changed from time to time that you need to be careful about what you believe. This page gives a chart for 337 to 476 AD and I'll guarantee that it was not the same for that whole period.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_currency

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice addition, my friend ...

=> hey, this was my first ancient coin "ever" ... $25 (delivered)

Valentinian I AE19

ancient23.jpg ancient23b.jpg

14. Magnus Maximus

Very nice coin Steve!
    @Doug, I am not satisfied with that chart on wiki. ( it does not take into account the reformed Siliqua or the shrinking Majorinas) Hopefully in the coming years we will get a proper answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted