Valens SECVRITAS from Antioch...unlisted obverse legend

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Victor_Clark, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

This is only the second example that I have seen, but there are doubtless more unnoticed ones floating around.

This coin from Valens has an obverse legend that is only attested for gold and silver issues in RIC. The obverse reads D N VALENS PER F AVG, so instead of the normal P F, which is translated as PIVS FELIX, this coin has a legend that seems to be PERPETVVS FELIX.

The field marks Θ, Φ, Κ are not even recorded for Valens, only later when Gratian was a ruler. See RIC 49 for an example from workshop B with the same field markings for Gratian (one example noted).

This coin must have been struck shortly before the death of Valens at the battle of Adrianople in August of A.D. 378.

Valens
    A.D. 364-375
    16x18mm 2.7gm
    D N VALENS PER F AVG; pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm branch; Φ over Θ in left field, K in right field.
    In ex. ANTA
    RIC IX Antioch –

Valens.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Very interesting indeed! I would very much like to know Valens' secret for being perpetvvs felix!

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A bad omen I would guess...

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Good catch! The obverse legend is noted for Antioch in RIC on page 272 as "2c" and page 275 as "2b", but their only coins they list that have it are gold or silver, not copper. As you note, the complicated field marks belong to coins after his death like RIC Antioch 49. Can we consider it an imitation that improperly combines types? The portrait is not as good as usual, the Victory distinctly uninspired, and the two sides from different time periods.

This is not an issue known for poor artwork. Here are two:
    VnSR4.jpg
    RIC Antioch 12b.

VnSR.jpg
    RIC Siscia 15b

6. Victor_Clark

I think that it is official, plus the other example with different dies makes unofficial seem even more unlikely.

cen-52-3-Antioche-01.jpg

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Good point. Does this suggest to you that the types with those field marks are dated incorrectly in RIC? If not, what is the explanation for the Valens obverse?

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  8. Victor_Clark

The date would only need to be changed a bit- the third period ends with the death of Valens in Aug 378 and the fourth period (with field marks Θ, Φ, Κ) picks right up after his death in August. So this issue only needs to move a few weeks or months earlier, putting it at the end of the third period.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted