Vacation Regrets

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Went on vacation, came back day before the auction. Alas, life is busy, so I lost the lot below, which went for $475, which may seem a lot for some people, but it has one of the finest Greek portraits I have ever seen. I will always regret the loss, unless of course a better one comes up! Feel free to post some losses!

3790125.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That was my primary target today but I was the immediate underbidder. Despite the seemingly high price, I agree that it is one of the finest and I don't think the winner overpaid.

Okidoki and stevex6 like this.
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

It was a tough coin to bid on for a couple reasons. The obverse is one of the best I have ever seen, but the reverse was not very good. I have seen others that have matched qualities in terms of wear, but the portrait was the real reason for bidding here. Ah well. There will always be others....

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Man, I feel your pain with that one. Incredible style.

My biggest regret is actually selling a coin I once owned.

D601A.jpg

This is a unique obv. legend variant of a rare head left Secular Games denarius, assigned RIC 601A by Ian Carradice in the upcoming RIC addenda.

I acquired the piece from Harry Sneh, who in turn acquired it from a metal detectorist in the UK. I must've had a momentary lapse of judgement to let it go ...

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i don't keep pictures of my looses....or ex girlfriends.

@medoraman outbid me on a nice ptolemy coins with a redish patina on ebay...maybe he could post a pic of it?

broke my heart! :(

;):D

Kentucky and beef1020 like this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

For me they are certainly too numerous and painful to recall.

[​IMG]

Hispanicus and Alegandron like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You're asking me to post my losses? Do you want a hundred page thread? Because that's how you get a hundred page thread. ;)

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ken & TIF => I am very sad to hear about your Pontos losses (man, I love that coin-type!!)

Ummm, I don't mean to be
    edited, but I do happen to have a fairly sweet example ... wanna see it?

Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI.jpg

Yah, as I told TIF before the final hammer => your OP-target is sweeter than my humble example (but I still love my Pontos sweetie)

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
    Bing, Mikey Zee, Okidoki and 9 others like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, but sorry => I got off track for a change

:woot:

Ken => this was my PLAN-A (but I only had $400 in my coin-canon)

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=316350

[​IMG]

... sadly, I blew all of my money on magic beans and two new vehicles ...

*sigh* ... that coin fricken rocks, eh?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Bing, Mikey Zee, Okidoki and 8 others like this.
  11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

That's a pretty coin and one I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. Only coin regret I have is not buying a Julia Domna Denarius with Terra and The Four Seasons. Took to long decide and someone bought it from the store.

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Several King John pennies from Ireland come to mind... Never saved a picture of them

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I also have one major regret from an auction I lost four years ago.

D815a.jpg

It still hurts.

Bing, Mikey Zee, Okidoki and 6 others like this.
  14. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I don,t blame you for hurting vespasian that is one coin I would dearly love but it is so rare hardly ever see it advertised.

15. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

This is a coin I regret not buying. Some day I'm sure I'll get one as nice or better because it's fairly common, but I remember looking at it in Roma's online store, maybe 2010 or so, while on a cruise vacationing through the Mediterranean with the family. It was way over priced, but I fondled it on my iPhone screen for days with bad internet. I got distracted and by the time I came home it was gone.
    image00157.jpg

Mikey Zee, Bing, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Losses? What losses? I have no losses!

(we do not speak of past losses in the ValiantKnight household)

stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  17. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

A few recent losses I really regret, and why:

Not the nicest example of the type but a decent example of a fairly scarce type. It went for a good price, I was just too cheap because I really thought I was going to win another lot later in the auction(which went above my means before I even got to bid on it). The curse of lot ordering
    25643.jpg

A really nice example of this anonymous type, actually posted for a surprisingly nice price on Vcoins. Thought about it for an hour or so, went to buy it, and it was gone.
    cJ5Ko6RkYEz9sA7WM36tLDa8N2gdgB.jpg

Not the greatest example of the type but I liked it and it went for a good price and I've wanted a decent example of this type for a while. Unfortunately, I spent more on the lots preceeding it than expected and just didn't have the money to place a competitive bid on it. It's a common-enough type though, I'll find one sooner or later
    3770349.jpg

Bing, chrsmat71, Johndakerftw and 8 others like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Usually my biggest regrets from vacations are over eating and over spending.

Theodosius, Carthago and red_spork like this.
  19. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hemidrachm, Alexandria 132-133, Æ 14.28 g. AUT KAIC TRAIAN – ADRIANOC CEB Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. L – I Z The Phar of Alexandria. Dattari 1935. BMC 885. Geissen 1082.
    In exceptional condition for the issue 3107970.jpg

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

:wideyed: ... For a second I thought that was a new pickup. Ouch.

Okidoki likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This coin haunts me... Gortyna stater from CNG 100 last year.

image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted