Vabalthus

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TJC, Jan 16, 2014.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I got this one a while ago and do not think I had a chance to share it. I know it could use some cleaning but I have been enjoying it as is:)

Vabalathus and Aurelian. AE, Antoninianus. 271/272 AD. Antioch. VABALATHVS VCRIM DR, laureate, draped bust of Vabalathus right / IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust of Aurelian right. Officina letter Delta below. RIC 381. Cohen 1.

Very cool info here: http://www.lunalucifera.com/Palmyra/
    VabalathusAurelianO.jpg VabalathusAurelianR2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A nice example, I wouldnt clean it.

Collect89 likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That is a nice example. I own two that I've posted before. One is really in poor condition, but the other is in similar condition to your. Congrats.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet lookin' addition, TJC!!

... I don't have a Vabalathus "yet" ... congrats!!

6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I wouldnt clean it either.....difficult patina on this one.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I would be perfectly happy to own that scarce coin as-is. Also, that's a great page you found on the coins of Vabalathus - I hadn't come across it before. Thanks for posting it.

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I have 3 or 4 of these now. I posted a couple of group lots I bought just for this coin a few months back. Below Aurelian there is a control mark. I cannot make yours out though.

Here are the two groups I bought again.

rom1obv.jpg rom1rev.jpg rom2obv.jpg rom2rev.jpg

I got each group for what I thought was fair for the Vabalathus individually. Like most photos from this seller, they are nicer in hand. As you can see, I have an H and a B control mark on these two. Doug has a different mark on his coin. I have no idea if they are all equally common, or if anyone collects by these, just thought it was interesting.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Bing and John Anthony like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When you read that linked page, pay special attention to the timeline. Zenobia was 14 when she married and Vabalathus was 14 when the coins were issued. While it has been shown before, I'll tack on the Alexandria tetradrachm showing Aurelian year one and Vabalathus year 4. I see there was a 2 and 5 also but I have not seen that one.
    gi2630b02199lg.JPG

medoraman and vlaha like this.
  10. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Doug you've posted that piece before, but I just realized that coin's style looks Egyptian. It is, da?

Edit: I just read your post again, I guess my question was answered before it was asked!

Draft saved Draft deleted