V75 American Silver Eagle value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Gam3rBlake, Nov 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Maybe you should do some more reading instead of cherry picking statements.

There is a huge difference between flipping coins to make a profit and trading coins for fun and enjoyment of a hobby.

Im starting to get really worried that I have to idiot proof all of my statements just so the people like yourself who love drama can’t manipulate what I say.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Yeah it’s a shame that now I have to idiot proof my statements so stupid people don’t get confused.

4. Gam3rBlake

I understand that.

I remember seeing a 1933 Double Eagle sold for over $1 million and I was shocked to see someone was willing to pay that much for less than 1oz of gold bullion just because it was 1933 bullion.

Give it 100 years and maybe 1oz bullion made today will be worth $1 million too!

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That's kind of the response I was expecting - aggression. Which is NOT how my question was phrased - although yes, I was challenging you. But in a polite way.

So, what I can assume from your diatribe is that the answer to part of my question (are the two accounts the same person) is yes. Done.

Read your first post in this thread:

"Hey guys I’m thinking of taking my V75 ASE to a local coin shop for sale or trade but I’m not sure how much to ask for it since it’s not in any price guides or anything due to being a relatively new release. Does anyone know what they sell for?"

From what I can see (and based on the responses you got) you definitely come across in your first post as someone who has zero idea what your coin is worth...or is pretending that you have no idea.

CLEARLY you have an account at PCGS.
    CLEARLY you have either sold or attempted to sell this coin over there.
    CLEARLY you are aware what the going market for is for this coin is.

Now, you've also clearly ruffled some feathers over at the PCGS boards based on the responses to your post in the thread I linked.

So, I'm kind of wondering what the answer to the other part of my question is - why come here and pretend like you are "not sure how much to ask for it since it's not in any price guides or anything" and you ask "does anyone know what they sell for?" I'm not the only person who sees that, obviously.

Now, if you'd phrased it like this, "Hey guys, I know this is what people are offering for this coin online - since I've already sold one for $550 over at the PCGS boards - but what do you think a coin shop offer me for it if I took it in there?" That is a genuine, honest question that has an entirely different set of responses than the ones you got based on the way you started this thread.

Do you understand why I asked you what I asked you? Because it seems like you annoyed enough people over across the street that the potential exists that you might not be acting entirely above board here, and the way you started this thread only reinforces that hypothesis.

Don't get angry and lash out. I'm asking you an honest question in a calm state. I am not attacking you, and no one here is being a "snowflake" and being oversensitive - except you.

So...thoughts on that?

6. Gam3rBlake

Yes I’m going to respond to aggression with aggression. That’s just how it works.

You voluntarily chose to use a situation of me being harassed & bullied somewhere else as “evidence” of something.

How do you think someone would feel if I said “When you were being beat up you swore you wouldn’t call the police if they stopped beating you up but you’re a liar because you did call the police on the guys who beat you which means you’re a dishonest person for lying!”

Do you see how stupid that kind of logic is? Yes “technically” it’s true but anyone who knows the entire story would realize it’s ridiculous to call someone a liar for lying to someone beating them up.

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

And there is the response I figured would come back.

No one is bullying you. Chill out.

I asked you a clarification question. And you responded in the same highly aggressive manner that you responded to posts over at PCGS, which were admittedly much more aggressive than my question.

I'm not going to say anything else because frankly, it's obvious there isn't a reasonable discussion to be had here.

Everyone else - good luck, and have a wonderful evening. I've wasted my last keystroke here.

8. Gam3rBlake

Good luck!

You may have been looking for someone to respond to your questions politely & respectfully but if that’s what you wanted you shouldn’t have asked your questions in an insulting & disrespectful manner.

Just like I told the guys trying to harass me on the PCGS forums I am not going to cower down and be meek while being accused of things & insulted.

You just told me that the whole reason I got the answers I did is because of how I asked the questions and that:

“..if you'd phrased it like this, "Hey guys, I know this is what people are offering for this coin online - since I've already sold one for $550 over at the PCGS boards - but what do you think a coin shop offer me for it if I took it in there?" That is a genuine, honest question”

Now I am giving your own advice back to you.

If you wanted a respectful & polite response you should’ve asked something like this:

“Hey I read some things on the PCGS forums and I don’t know if they’re true or not since I never heard your side of the story but if you could explain ABC I would appreciate it.”

That is a respectful and polite question deserving of a respectful and polite answer.

Don’t insult someone and accuse them of things you’re not sure of and expect them to reply to you calm and respectfully.

Treat people with respect if you want respect.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Your coin is worth what someone will pay. Dealers will pay you less than a collector will because they will resell the item at a profit. When bargaining, it is said, get the other party to make the first offer of value. Then work it up.

Good luck. Thanks for taking one that I was trying get to put in my collection.

10. Gam3rBlake

Yeah that’s kind of what I’m trying to figure out. I’m not looking to make any sort of profit I’m just trying to figure out what would be a fair coin to ask my local dealer to trade me for it but I can’t do that unless I know the value of both the coin I’m trading and the coin I have.

A lot of people keep telling me to look on EBay but on EBay they’ve sold from $400 to $900 which isn’t a very accurate price range so I was trying to narrow it down.

Im hoping to get a decent Morgan Dollar for it and if I knew a more accurate value for mine I would know which Morgan Dollars are closest in value to it.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Never met a bridge you didn't light, have you?

furham likes this.
  12. Gam3rBlake

I don’t mind lightning bridges that are already on fire. :)

It’s also not my fault if people choose to twist my words just so they can spread drama.

Im too old for that crap and I’m not going to let that kind of 12 year old behavior affect me.

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

There are a lot of dealers on this site, so if one were to reply an actual price, it won't be very much more than what you paid. For the collectors here, they either already got one, or for those of us who didn't, most won't pay any premium above what the mint sold them for based on principle. So check eBay for selling prices and use that as a guide.

I would only look at slabbed Morgans by PCGS or NGC for trade deals. Look at the price guides for those two companies, then those in the price range of what the ones are selling foe, not listed for, on eBay. You need to figure this out for yourself, what is an acceptable trade value.

furham and Gam3rBlake like this.
  14. Gam3rBlake

Ah ok I’ll try that. I didn’t want to do that because I would’ve felt hypocritical for talking about how flipping coins for profit is wrong but I guess if that is my only option and no one wants to trade for them I have no choice in the matter.

Maybe I could do better with a 2 coin set of the Gold & Silver V75 coins together instead of just each one on its own.

It’s a shame people don’t do trading anymore like back when I first started collecting.

Thanks for the advice!

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Offers for trading or offers to buy and sell are not allowed on the open forum here on Coin Talk. There is a buy/sell/trade section for that.

16. Gam3rBlake

I know that. I’m not going to do any trading or buying or selling here. But thanks for the warning :).

17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Dealers are in business to make money. Do you honestly think a dealer is going to offer, dollar for dollar, a TPG Morgan for the V75 ASE. IMO you'd be better off selling it to a collector and using that money to buy the Morgan you want. I'm not picking on you but your OP did make it appear you knew nothing about the value of your coin. And please don't refer to me as "the other guy". That was impolite. :)

18. Gam3rBlake

1). Sorry I just said “the other guy” because I couldn’t remember how to spell your username . Nothing personal.

2). I think you misunderstood what I meant so I’ll clarify.

Let’s say my V75 is worth $400. Well a dealer may be happy to trade a Morgan Dollar that he’s selling for $300 for mine. Not only is he getting $100 more value but his original $300 price on the Morgan is with profits factored in.

I know a lot of dealers prefer trade in credit over paying out cash.

19. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply and clarification. I also prefer to trade with the dealer as I get more value for them than if I sold them. Prior to the Covid lockdown I traded in about 30 Mint sets in their OGP for a few type coins. Money wise I probably lost out but I'm much happier with the type coins I received. I especially like the XF 1853 Liberty Seated Half with arrows and rays. I still haven't photographed many of my coins yet so I can't post a photo. I received a few other type coins along with the Half. Hope you get the Morgan you want. :)
    Edit. The only US Mint set I didn't sell was the 2009 because of the Satin finish Lincoln Cents in them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

First the 1933 double eagle is against the law, for the public to own .
    Second, the double eagle was not struck as a bullion coin ...

Evan Saltis likes this.
  21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

On ebay you generally check sold listing for an item and go back a day or two tops to get a feel for the current value of the item if you sold it on ebay.

So looking. I'd say ungraded, opened mint shipping box about $500 if you sold it on ebay. If you wanted a quick sale on ebay I'd say $400-$450 BIN would get you a pretty quick buyer if you have good feedback. If you have time to wait and auction for a few days BIN maybe up to $550 but it might sit for the right moment to where someone buys it.

Now what you sell to an end user for is not what you'd get from a dealer, not even close, a dealer is looking to get that $400-450, so they won't pay you that and it needs to be worth their time and effort.

To gauge what dealers are offering for it, I'd spend a day from home and offer it online to the big websites to quote you what they would buy it for.

I don't think any place is gonna offer you bullion price. However I would not be surprised if they offer mint price only up to double the mint issue price because they would be doing the work to sell it to an end user. Like a pawn shop, many times lowball is the game played since you are the motivated seller and they are the buyer, and price is only high now until all the orders have been filled by the mint. So a dealer won't want to overpay just because it's hot at the moment, maybe they sit on it for a couple months and in january it drops to $200 when ebay is flooded with them and everyone is undercutting everyone else, in which case they should have offered you $150 tops. They assume all that risk and it will cost you if you sell to them.
    In that case, I'd say it's best to sell to an end user and use the money to buy the coin you really want.

There's nothing that says you can't go to the coin shop, find the Morgan you want or like then price you coin for that price plus fees and shipping and post it up lower than low market on ebay for a quick sale and a good deal for a collector. You can do that also if you wanted to. Same as a trade really as long as your happy with what you get.

I been dancing around on this myself but likely when mine finally arrives I'll toss the box in a drawer and think about it in another year or two which is my normal since the collection is a bit out of control and I tend to just stuff things in drawers at this point from the mint without even looking at them to deal with later and then forget to check it out later. But I'm not motivated to sell really anyways. The quick extra money has me thinking about selling but meh... who cares... I'm lazy. What's been killing me is mines been with USPS, in my city for 3 days now and still not delivered..apparently just sitting there....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.