V nickels

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Apr 28, 2020.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

In sorting My Father's collection, I have found a tube of about 90 V Liberty nickels. ALL in poor condition, I assume all came from the ground as he was a metal-detectorist. Can read all dates and some would be as high as G-4, BUT there is dirt and corrosion and they seem very 'rusty' with oxidation flaking off on the table. 1906 V nickel.jpg 1911 V nickel.jpg 1912 V nickel.jpg
    Any value here?

Thank you!

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay more than 25 cents a piece...if I absolutely needed them. Shame about the damage.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think that regardless of any numismatic value, these coins probably have a much more meaningful value to you because they were your father's. I actually think that the environmental damage tells a story, because if they were in the ground your father found them and put them into his collection. In my opinion, that story they tell is where the true value is.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You'll have to check the dates. Some of them have value.
    All of the ones from the 1900's are the least valuable. The 1909 has a low mintage and the 1912-D and 1912-S are your best dates. Some of the ones from the 1800's can be valuable even in this condition. So you'll have to go through them.

rosethe likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

When I was coin roll hunting, I would find environmentally damaged coins all the time. Another collector started to put together a 'cameo' set using the various darkened coins with a lighter bust (due to wear) and it actually started taking on a unique look. It inspired me to do something similar. Perhaps as suggested, the connection to your father and how he found them, have particular interest for you. I would take those coins to establish an album/folder...or perhaps flips in a binder...to establish a detectorist's discoveries. How close did he get with those 90 dug finds? It might be interesting to know...and it might make for a unique collection that will bring you fond memories going forward. Good luck with your decision.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In this kind of condition, except for any 1885 or 1886's, a good sudsy bath and brushing with a toothbrush before a thorough rinse and dry wouldn't hurt.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

11 & 12's a little value

10. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

SorenCoins, I appreciate the meaningful response. There is just SO much of the dug coins I cannot manage it all. There are tons of Buff nickels, Mercs, Washington quarters, and not to mention ALL the cents. Many of them dirty (environmental) but none as bad of condition as these V nickels. I guess I don't understand why the V nickels corroded and 'rusted' and the Buffs just turn black.

As for the sentimental part, I am, of course keeping all his high quality gold and silver, as it is very collectible and I am grateful to have it.

11. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I found an 1883 (w/cents) in the tube, maybe a G-4, not considering the crud. Apart from that there were a couple 1912-D but nothing else of interest. I think I will try to wash them off in sudsy water as recommended.

Is just washing off coins in water ONLY something that I could do to the other environmental coins safely?

Thanks!

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1883 w/cents is a desirable coin.
    The first year it came out with just a V on the reverse and people would gold wash or gold plate it and pass it off as a $5 coin. So they put cents on the reverse.
    They have value even in low grades.
    I disagree about the 11's and 12's except the ones I mentioned, 12-D and 12-S.

rosethe likes this.
  13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct. Environmental Exposure Damage :yack:

14. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I read that in the Red Book! Cheeky.

Does the 1883 (w/cents) have value even with crud on it?

Thanks!

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They should be worth a lot to you as they were your fathers and how they came into his possession.

SorenCoins likes this.
  16. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I understand that thought, but as I have said, there is so much of these sorts of finds it is unmanageable. I know he didn't put any priority on all of the detector finds, he probably didn't know what to do with it all either.
    I can tell what he thought was valuable or special. There are bags of complete junk as well- everything metal that came out of the ground: buttons, tokens, slugs, etc.

About the only things he didn't save were bottle caps and pull tops. The jewelry he found was sorted by him and the precious metals were removed, now I have loads of plated and junky stuff in jars and bags. He really did find some good jewelry in the 70s., many gold rings, a platinum and diamond brooch , diamond rings, silver, etc. He sold most and enjoyed himself with his earnings.

17. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

A 1913 carries a premium.

18. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Is that meant to be a joke? Please explain.

19. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

There are 5 known. It is famous for being very, very rare.

Collecting Nut and rosethe like this.
  20. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Oh, pardon my comment. I did read that one went at auction for $3.5M.

SorenCoins and SamuelFred1 like this.
  21. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

That's a rather cool idea! I think a binder page with 2x2s would display it really well!

That make total sense, and I am also sure there are many collectors of the "CirCam" circulated cameos who would love some of these metal detecting finds! Glad to hear you're keeping the special finds :)

Kevin Mader and rosethe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted