V auctions shipping?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by H8_modern, Mar 22, 2017.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here, here. Why should I list a coin at a reasonable price when I can list it at 3 or 10 times its value and let it stay up there for months on end and hope that eventually some sucker will fall for it? Answer: because eBay's fees aren't based on market value, they're based on what the coin eventually sells for, even if it takes a year. Server space is cheap.

Valentinian and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Actually a bit of both. PayPal fees: If you're not selling on ebay or a store then the buyer is helping out the seller by evading that fee. The seller in return should not raise the price because now PayPal is going to take a fee from the seller. Its like saying "hey thanks for helping me out by evading the fee, now pay me extra so I don't have to take the PayPal fee as well" Both buyer and seller should be helping each other.

Buyers premium IMO is way too much. I understand auction houses need to make money too, but maybe they should put a cap on how much it goes up to. Paying close to 20% of the coins selling price drives up the total price a lot. Not all of us have that kind of money to throw at them. I know some coins are considered a rich person's pocket change and they may not care about paying an extra hundred dollars or so. But even then, that extra hundred dollars or two can buy another decent coin.

Now I'm not saying I will never buy from auction houses or sellers adding fees. If there is something I really want, I will try to to get it, within reason of course.

Paul M. and Alegandron like this.
  4. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I've never understood the issue here. Buyer's premium is essentially just a bookkeeping device; it's convenient for the auction house, but it isn't extra money. All a buyer needs to do is allow for it when setting their maximum bid; i.e., if a coin is worth $120 to you and the premium is 20%, bid $100.

Nerva, Smojo, Valentinian and 6 others like this.
  5. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

6. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

All,
    Coins are starting to ship, just received a notification.
    Woohoo!

Smojo and Curtisimo like this.
  7. gsimonel

I think it's more of a marketing device. It's critical that auction houses have good material to sell if they are to stay in business. If you have really strong merchandise, you'll make money, and it doesn't really matter whether your profits come from commission alone or from a combination of commission and buyer's fees. But adding a buyer's fee allows you to reduce your commission to the consignor, which gives you an edge when approaching potential sellers.

If you have a coin worth $50,000 that you want to sell at an auction, would you rather go with an auction house that will keep 30% of the final selling price or one that keeps only 15%? Whether or not you will actually realize any more money from the second company is open to debate. It seems likely that the buyer's premium depresses the final selling price somewhat, but the point is that from the seller's perspective it seems like you will end up better off with a company whose fees appear to be only half what another company charges. So as soon as one company switches to this approach, the others have to also or they won't be able to continue getting quality auction consignments.

Paul M. and Curtisimo like this.
  8. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

If you have a $50,000 coin to sell, you'll probably be able to negotiate a minimal or (most likely) 0% seller's fee.

It costs the auction house exactly the same amount to sell a $50 coin as a $50,000 coin, and since the absolute amount of buyer's fee is a lot more on the latter, the auction house tends to be a lot more flexible for these coins.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Simple basis of Economies of Scale... :)

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Like Hispanicus I got an email notice of shipment this morning.

Paul M. and Hispanicus like this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My Triskeles win win shoud be delivered Thurday. So everyones purchases should be coming soon. :) :smuggrin: so smile ,smile smile :woot:

Hispanicus, red_spork and Alegandron like this.
  12. DeLaFe

DeLaFe Active Member

Hey Everyone:

Thanks for all of the comments good and bad (concerning Agora). We really do try out best to meet or exceed expectations.

I wanted to address one point- shipping. Normally we ship with two days of receipt of payment. I would like to apologize for recent delays. A little over two months ago while at the new Chicago show I suffered a very serious injury where I tore my achilles tendon in one foot and for good measure turned out I tore another tendon in my other foot. Recovery has been VERY slow and my mobility is very limited.

This has also delayed getting sales up because standing to take photos and traveling to the office where the safe is have been difficult.

We have hired someone to help me while I recover and he should be starting next week.

Also wanted to mention that auctions such as Agora and Triskeles are run by companies with a much smaller staff than a CNG. Triskeles is basically just John Lavender and Agora is me and Matt (and Matt just handles the finances) There are some cons to dealing with smaller dealers but certainly the pros outweigh them (on my opinion)

Once again, my sincere apologies for the delays.

Alfred

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Carthago and Severus Alexander like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Whoa-- both Achille's tendons? That is tough. Long road ahead. Best wishes for a speedy and complication-free recovery :)

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes. Please have a speedy recovery. I'm also laid up with a back injury, so I can sympathize. I'm not moving very fast either. Good luck.

15. DeLaFe

DeLaFe Active Member

Just one achilles, the other is a tibial tendon. Bad side effect of a medication I take is horrific cramps. Got cramps the night before and couldn't reach my bag in time to take magnesium quickly. Never imagined I would tear tendons! (Although the cramps are so bad they hurt worse than when I passed kidney stones!)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I would like to add Alfred has given me exceptional Customer Care in my recent transactions. Great communications despite the awful accident! A speedy and complete recovery to you! And I look forward to some fun business in the future!

17. gsimonel

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Alfred!

DeLaFe likes this.
  18. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing @DeLaFe, your injury certainly explains recent shipping delays:). I tore my Achilles tendon many years ago, and recovery is tedious. I wish you complication-free recovery!

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hmmm. Making excuses already. Good touch. Lol

20. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Uh, what?

I dont get the context of the comment. I hope I am not interpreting it wrong.

I stand by my statement. I now have two Agora auctions completed. I close my auctions specifically on Fridays as I know half and more of bidders will pay immediately. That means if the auction closed on Friday you pay and I pack and ship the same day. End result is that you get your coins on Monday or Tuesday. I think thats pretty good customer service, and its what I shoot for.

However, I know there are many reasons why payment wont come immediately. I understand this and have no issues. But also, I had two payments Friday which were two weeks after the auction. I feel no overwhelming desire to ship them today (and I will not). I figure if it took two weeks to pay I can certainly take two or more days off on the weekend (also the biggest holiday American Holiday there is).

I think I am dong quite well. Delivery (not shipment) in two or three days after payment rivals anyone, even the largest of companies.

zumbly, Alegandron, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Was attempting being funny. You is a cool kat

Draft saved Draft deleted