Usurpers - My Crown Jewel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Suarez, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That's a great coin! My question is... Any clue of the undertype? It looks on the obverse as if it was struck over another coin with lots of curly hair. Was it a early Postumus coin? I'm not sure if the timing matches up but they were both active in 260...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not that there is any chance that I would ever bid on a Regalianus of any sort, I have to say that I would consider it a major selling point for a Regalianus coin to have a clear undertype easily identifiable on both sides. I like overstrikes in general but this is especially true when a ruler is known and expected to have used earlier coins for the purpose. Like this!
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=273240
    I wonder how much my attitude matches anyone who actually would bid on a Regalianus. His coins will not appeal to those who deny the existence of coins in less than mint state. We each make our choices. I might prefer a dozen or two assorted denarii of Pescennius Niger. Others might prefer a 12 Caesar aureus or enough late roman bronzes to sink a galley. That is the hobby as we know it.

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That is a tremendous coin @Suarez! What a pleasure it must be to finally acquire one!

I'm going to stretch the definition of 'usurper' so that I can participate. Here is a an early denarius of Vespasian, a successful usurper. The engravers still hadn't figured out what he looked like.

V19f.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 3.45g
    Rome mint, January - June 70 AD
    RIC 19 (C). BMC 7. RSC 84.
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: COS ITER FORT RED; Fortuna, draped, standing l.,setting r. hand on prow and holding cornucopiae in l. hand

Ryro, Cucumbor, dlhill132 and 6 others like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins all. As far as usurpers go I am looking for an antoninianus of Aemilianus. These are pretty scarce whereas there is a decent quantity of provincial bronzes for this ruler.

7. Edward A Jones

Edward A Jones New Member

Excellent write up. Never even heard of the usurper before now.

Draft saved Draft deleted