USSR Commemoratives

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Onofrio Bacigalupo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

1967 fiftieth anniversary of the Russian Revolution

1965 twentieth anniversary of victory in WW II

1975 thirtieth anniversary Battle of Stalingrad DSCN1488.JPG DSCN1490.JPG DSCN1496.JPG DSCN1497.JPG DSCN1500.JPG DSCN1485.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Really like that Battle of Stalingrad coin. I'll have to look for one of those.

Onofrio Bacigalupo likes this.
  4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Palladium coin commemorating 1000 years of Christianity in Russia

Paladium 1000 Rubles Obv.jpg Paladium 1000 Rubles Rev.jpg

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Stalingrad commem is a tricky one. :) That battle was in 1942/43 but this coin was issued in 1975 (the year is part of the edge inscription), and the lights designed as XXX suggest 30 years since the end of WW2 in 1945. While I am not fond of gigantomania, no matter where, and thus dislike the monument, the idea with those lights is a good one, I think.

The monument on the 1965 coin (date on the edge again) is also interesting from a German POV. It features a Red Army soldier carrying a German child - and that memorial is in Berlin (also see the images here).

Christian

Onofrio Bacigalupo likes this.
  6. Onofrio Bacigalupo

I didn't know any of this. Thank you so much. Do you live in Germany?

7. Onofrio Bacigalupo

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Yes. So contradictory isn't tit.

9. Onofrio Bacigalupo

This would have been under Gorbachev I think during Perestroika

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, in the state of North Rhine Westphalia. The GDR (East Germany) issued a 10 mark coin in 1985, by the way, that shows the very same monument: http://www.muenzen.eu/assets/images/5/10-mark-befreiung-faschismus-1985-fba287b5.jpg I have that coin, so I got the Soviet piece too, because I find such common themes and/or designs interesting ...

Christian

mlov43 and Onofrio Bacigalupo like this.
  11. Onofrio Bacigalupo

12. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Russia issued these two commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad:

[​IMG]
    Russia 3 Rubles 1993 Stalingrad (32mm, 14.06gm)

[​IMG]
    Russia 10 Rubles 2013 Stalingrad (22mm, 5.67gm)

"The 70th Anniversary of the Crushing Defeat of the German-Fascist Troops by the Soviet Troops in the Battle of Stalingrad"

The second is a small coin celebrating a big event.

:)

13. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Strange that they have all that text in fairly small characters running along the edge while there is lots of empty space in the center ...

Christian

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

There must have been several statues/images made on the "Befreiung vom Faschismus" theme in East Germany. Here's an image of a large sculpture on that same theme that I took at a museum in East Berlin in 1988. Here, a Soviet soldier is tearing apart the shackles of fascism ensnaring some poor German. I snapped this photo and then turned my head to the right, and there, plain as day, was a sign written in German and English declaring that photography was prohibited. Oops!
    ostberlin14.gif
    It was also at this museum that I saw an impressive row of SKS rifles lined up on a wall-mounted display beneath the East German coat of arms. Being a goofy 18 year-old, I reached up to grab the charging handle of one of the rifles to see if I could pull it back, and instantly, out of nowhere, a rather squat, rotund babushka-looking docent appeared like a character straight out of Hollywood central-casting communist villainy and said curtly, "FASSEN Sie nichts an!"

Ah... memories.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  17. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Yeah...that Stalingrad coin is beautiful...I wish there was a silver commemorative of these coins...I would love to get them...even so I will get this one and others like it. Thanks for sharing.

18. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

From the top of your head...are these silver or zinc aluminum?

19. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Absolutely. Both the Federal Republic of Germany (initially West G.) and the German Democratic Republic (East G.) were founded in 1949, but the two countries had different concepts also with regard to history. In a nutshell, the GDR approach to German fascism moved the emphasis from historic responsibility to liberation - as if the country had been occupied by Nazi Germany. On the other hand, in the Fed. Rep. it took longer to see 1945 as a year of both surrender and liberation. And yes, taking photos is still not exactly popular in many museums, let alone playing with guns. ;)

Christian

21. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I think maybe you are right... I once read Ernst von Saloman's "Fragebogen" (English title, "The Answers of Ernst von Salomon"). His books is a rather bitter self-justification of his actions in the 1920s and 1930s (he was a co-conspirator in the murder of Walter Rathenau) and Salomon certainly saw 1945 as a surrender, but definitely NOT a liberation, although he might have preferred the western allies as "less worse" than the Soviets.

Draft saved Draft deleted