USS Olympia Token (small)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, Dec 1, 2014.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Any idea what the story is with this tiny USS Olympia token? There are larger medals with a similar design supposedly made from the propeller of the ship (according to their legends), but this uniface token doesn't make that claim.

It is about the size of a dime, and appears to be bronze or copper. The obverse has deep brown color around the details, but is rose gold in the fields.

Also, any idea as to value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. GeorgeM

I have several of that type - it's larger & has the quote "You may fire when ready, Gridley" on the obverse, along with the description that it is made from the USS Olympia's propeller on the reverse.

The one I'm trying to research is uniface, but otherwise has clean lines like the relic medal. There were several crude medals celebrating Admiral Dewey (that otherwise resemble campaign medals of the era).

This one only has the ship - I wonder if it was an issue for the ship's crew?

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

maybe search on Bing for it. ?

7. GeorgeM

Did some pretty thorough searching. No luck. It's also not in the Redbook of US Tokens (unless I'm missing it).

8. Robert Geigle

Robert Geigle New Member

I have a large medallion that I bought in the gift shop on board the USS Olympia in 1966. It was in fact made from the propeller. The ship itself is still in Philadelphia.

Draft saved Draft deleted