USPS will not ship coins? What's this all about?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Libby007, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

A warning for those thinking about using FedEx for coins from Europe. So far no problems with DHL.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Sorry, forgot the attachment
    20200318_110018.jpg

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have received coins from Europe by Fed Ex, DHL, Royal Mail, and other countries' postal services. So far no problems, even on orders from U.A.E sent by the mails, other than hold-ups at the ICS in NY.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

DHL and UPS are my backups. However, UPS fall under railway transportation laws in the US and FedEx fall under the Airway laws. DHL had some trouble for a spell, and I lost a little confidence in them. Perhaps they are much better now.

$141 USD Duties. It looks like 0.3% duty for that shipment? Not bad.

@hotwheelsearl and @baseball21 ...
    Regarding Tokens vs Coins: yes, I agree and am very aware of the laws and restrictions for antiquities. I have purchased a LOT of them from overseas. I keep provenance, customs documentation, customs, Duty payment receipts, etc.
    I chuckled when I searched a definition for the difference between the two.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Not coins, but I often order banknotes from Europe. They almost always come in a standard letter envelope with stamps, and I’ve never had a problem. Just takes FOREVER but at least they get here at minimal cost

7. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

[/QUOTE] I would suggest that @Libby007 call their local post office and speak to the postmaster to straighten this out.[/QUOTE]
    Thanh you, "Collecting Nut" - I will do just that. Much gratitude.

8. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

As far as I know the tax on coins is 0%. That $142 fee is FedEx's own fee for the trouble of them taking the time to make an invoice for $142 ;- )

Rasiel

Jims Coins likes this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

My coin dealer said that he has used the term "precision metallic components"
    when insuring coins in the mail.

10. Alegandron

I believe there is a minimal Duty levied over values of approx $7,750 USD at around 0.275%. I would have to go into the HTS Codes again to determine, but I remember when I received in some larger shipments, the Duties levied corresponded to the rates that I had researched for that time. Perhaps, the laws have changed again (Duties change all the time)

Passing thought: I mentioned that UPS and FedEx fall under different transortation laws in the US. UPS falls under Railway Laws and Regs, FedEx fall under Air Transportation Laws and Regs. This was important when we were shipping hazardous materials labeled under ORM-D regs. I wonder if there are individual classification interpretation of the HTS Codes that affected the two carriers. Additionally, FedEx may had INTERPRETED HTS Codes, perhaps being more conservative, and implementing the above Duties.
    I know we (companies) were able to to interpret various HTS Classes to determine Duties. Some had a 15% swing in duty rates for similar items! We would also apply for Rulings to ensure we were Tarriffed at correct (read that lower) rates if there were questions. Many times we produced items that were not specifically classed in HTS Codes.

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Does FedEx insure an ancient coin for declared value? All the way to the point of delivery, regardless of foreign or domestic?
    I believe USPS Registered Mail insures an ancient coin only to the port of embarkation.

bcuda and Alegandron like this.
  12. Alegandron

I believe so. We were always given options of insuring, and yeah, rates were commensurate to values declared. We had a difficult time determing shipping insurance values for one-of-a-kind prototypes, or manufacturing tooling and dies that, in themselves may had been several tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to make, but actually represented 10's to 100's of millions of dollars in production output!

Please understand, I am NOT espousing UPS, DHL, FeDex, USPS or any carrier. I am ONLY positing my past experiences with carriers.

It is moot to state what is best, rather, you should all research and feel COMFORTABLE with your choice of carrier. AND, if you CHOOSE to ship and use a carrier at any given time.

OOPS! Hey, RANDOM coin posting!

upload_2020-3-30_15-53-1.png
    RR Lucius Caesius 112-111 BCE AR Den Apollo Lares Praestites S 175 Craw 298-1

red_spork and Bing like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..that is correct...for Christmas i sent a friend in another state a Chinese cash coin and as a joke i marked it on the outside "Christmas cash inclosed" and the mailman bought it back saying they didn't handle cash..but i assured him it was in fun and he took it and it made it to its destination...:)

14. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Nope. There's no duties on ancient coins here in the U.S. FedEx tacks on some free profit under the legal principle of what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it.

1.jpg

TypeCoin971793 and Alegandron like this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ve heard some postal workers who say the term “coins” apply only to those in circulation, not numismatic collectibles.

I also use a third-party insurer for international shipments with coins, and they explicitly say that collectible coins are covered.

16. scarborough

scarborough Well-Known Member

In response to discussion about the USD 142.54, perhaps this might assist:

Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF) The Merchandise Processing Fee (MPF) is a U.S. Customs charge, assessed for most imports into the United States. The fee is 0.3464% of the cargo value as declared on the commercial invoice, with a minimum of $26.79 and a maximum of $519.76 per entry.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

.[/QUOTE]I also use a third-party insurer for international shipments with coins, and they explicitly say that collectible coins are covered.[/QUOTE]

What company?

18. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's odd. It really doesn't make sense (no pun intended). I just received an item from Boston last weekend. The prohibition must apply to sending coins and cash through the mail. Numismatic items should be okay.

Now delays will occur, probably long delays in some cases, depending on the country of origin. France, I heard, is on total lock-down, and people run the risk of arrest or a fine for being out without proof of authorization. These are truly times of draconian measures, but necessary ones in my estimation, if we are going to stem the number of covid-19 cases.

19. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

I remember declaration of one of the first lots I won on CNG (about 20 years ago, it was a group lot of denarii) stated 'old metal discs'. And indeed, it is hundred percent correct!

20. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I found out that private companies, such as Fedex and DHL, must file a detailed customs form (Entry Summary) with Customs and Border Protection. I've had to pay customs duty to Fedex on a few shipments.

I try to make sure that shipments sent to me from overseas go by postal mail. It is far less likelier to incur customs duties shipping this way.

21. Alegandron

Thank you. I knew I had paid a customs charge... it was the customs processing fee, and I do remember it had a low %, and an upper limit. Looked for my paperwork, but you explained it.

Draft saved Draft deleted