USPS tracking says package was delivered to my mailbox, but it wasn't.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I had similar incident. Reported it to manager at po. It got resolved about an hour later when they found it had been put in wrong POB.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it was misdelivered, most people will return it.
    Especially if one if your neighbors got the package. I would just bring it to the
    address, ring the bell and hand it to them.
    However, if the contents were stolen, you are not getting it back.
    What about demanding a package only be received by signature of recipient?
    A person who is not expecting a package is not going to sign for it.
    And the carrier can't claim it was delivered unless you signed for it.

4. This has happened to me. I’ll bet it shows up in the next 1-2 days. In the meantime, talk to your carrier and call your local PO. Good luck! TC

5. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

I am a mail carrier. What other houses near you have the same house number on a different street? Or say, 7717 vs 7177? Check with your carrier to see if it was misdelivered somewhere close. If they have not picked up their mail, the carrier can retrieve it (YOU cannot).

6. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

It occasionally happens and it's not the sellers fault (especially if a label was printed).

There was an item I remember buying 5 years ago, scanned "out for delivery" 200 miles away from my address. None of the credentials matched, city or zip code or street. How does that even....happen. lol

2 days later I get it and I left positive feedback. I didn't mind the delay or the mess up because it was a $90 item. I receive anywhere from 50-100 packages a year and that was the only time I've had that exact thing happen to me. Still though I'm trying to figure to this day how a package can end on the other side of my state and was about to be delivered to some random person?

I'll still use USPS over any other service. Last few times I used Fedex packages are frequently mishandled under their care.

7. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Or try a completely different city across the state and it scans out for delivery. :eek:

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That can happen with any dealer or auction house that delivers your coin by mail.

baseball21 and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It just happens in the office. Clerks scan all barcodes and that's when it shows up. The carrier did their job and pulled it out. I doubt it ever left that office but the clerks did not scan it again when then should have.

You received your package in two days as it was handled correctly by the wrong office. It just wasn't scanned right. Glad you got it.

Remember, I'm a retired po manager.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Every company that handles parcels makes mistakes. None of us are perfect. Even the best of us make errors. The real problem is when the mistakes are constantly repeated. That's an individual and that is harder to correct.

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service. I love USPS and their awesome service. I am bothered when I hear talk of privatization.

12. Jeffjay

13. Collecting Nut

If you think postal rates are high now just wait until it all becomes private.

-jeffB and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  14. Jeffjay

Not to mention the laws and privacy associated with the United States Postal Service. It wouldn't surprise me if privatization would mean a couple dollars to mail a letter.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It could be done but currently no company is in position to do it. Realistically it's not going to happen and doesn't even have any serious consideration. The major reason why people want it privatized anyways is so that it's easier to fire bad employees

16. Collecting Nut

I seriously doubt it would be that high but I would expect it to be about $1.25 per letter.

17. Collecting Nut

It's a bit further along than you think. The post office is a branch of the federal government but they are on their own. There is a movement to privatize them and UPS has seriously considered it.

18. baseball21

There's been a movement for that since at least the 90s

It's not likely the USPS itself will be privatized, but with all the small delivery services now for same day things and Amazon doing their own deliveries and things of that nature, it certainly could turn out that private companies end up doing more volume than them many years down the road.

19. Jeffjay

If the post office is privatized the sky would be the limit on what postage would cost. Our letters and packages would no longer be protected by federal laws imposing stiff penalties for anybody that tampers with it. It is all around a horrible idea. It's corporate interests that want a hold of a multibillion-dollar industry and have been bribing politicians for years to try to make it happen. They forced the post office to fund pensions for people that haven't even been hired yet in an attempt to dismantle it.

20. baseball21

No it wouldn't. Competition would still exist as some I have mentioned not to mention the fact that most mail that is sent could easily be eliminated and switched to email or not at all and this is especially true as time goes on. 90 percent of mail is easily junk or advertisement or in the case of this year political ads.

No reason laws couldn't protect it

That's the propaganda line that everyone uses and is 100 percent false.

21. Collecting Nut

Times change, things change and circumstances change. The postal service does not like to change. No doubt other carriers will be delivering more parcels in the future.

baseball21 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted