USPS shipping

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by murty, Sep 29, 2016.

1. murty

murty Junior Member

I am going to ship a slabbed coin with a value of $1800 first class.What is best way.register mail or insured mail?
    Thank You

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It costs $30+ to send it insured priority and it costs $24 to send it registered. Registered is definitely more secure.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Registered will slow the speed down by two days or more. It's safer, however, as someone needs to sign off on the package internally each time it's handed off. Also, at the end of each evening, Registered mail is locked up in a way similar to a police evidence cage.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

See my comment on your ngc forum thread :)

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Registered in a small flat rate box is around $22 with $2k insurance. I send them a lot. Depends on the value though. For instance one with a value of $7k Just cost me $28

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. murty

murty Junior Member

Saw it!...thanks for the advice!!!

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I almost wonder if it's more sensible to ship stuff like this Overnight, to minimize its' exposure and keep it in the (fewer) hands of people moving as fast as possible.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I too wondered this and the manager at the p.o. said that in his 16yrs he has never seen a single registered go missing while he has seen 3-4 express get lost. Still a good average though but express at $20-30 base plus another $25-X+ for $1k-X+ insurance magnifies the cost by a factor of 2+

Hunting Rare and Paul M. like this.
  10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

USPS says otherwise - with $1800 insurance.
    upload_2016-9-29_17-3-3.png

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Whatever that says is inconsequential to me as I know what I pay at the counter. Plus you can't go with registered online. It has to be in person. That said the total there is only a buck or two over what I pay

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And it is still true that as the value of the item being shipped the Registered price increases much more slowly than with priority insured. While the Priority express 1-day service is very expensive.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Registered, hands down.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't see the insurance anywhere in that comparison...?

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You are correct, it is not listed. But in order to get to that page I had to enter $1800. If you don't believe me, try it.

16. murty

murty Junior Member

Thanks for all the feedback...very much appreciated!

17. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You selected priority mail. If you select first class, it is a few bucks cheaper.

18. -jeffB

When I select Priority Mail small box flat rate, and add $1800 insurance, it shows me a surcharge of $24.05, for a total of $30.85.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is what I got if it was only insured. That is why we are saying to send it registered.

20. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Another thing to keep in mind, you must use the water-adhesive brown strap tape to seal your box, and they stamp all over it, when using Registered.

21. -jeffB

I apparently have no idea what you're trying to say, so I'll be quiet now.

Draft saved Draft deleted