USPS Postage Price Hike!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Jan 28, 2019.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

PSA... The price hike took place yesterday. I also see that USPS postage prices for first class packages (1-5 oz) increased its base price from $2.66 to $2.77. But that's only if you are shipping relatively close to you. First class packages now ship via zone pricing. So, if you want to ship to say, Hawaii, it'll be $3.09 through eBay / PayPal. Yikes! It's not that much but for you sellers out there, these costs must add up. Of course, many other services increased across the board.

https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2018/pr18_086.htm

upload_2019-1-28_20-47-15.png

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Was a big hike this year. If they're going to keep trying to gouge like this I'm going to start investing in forever postage.

iPen likes this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

You know it's probably a stupid question but what is the difference between a postage stamp and a "forever" stamp???

5. baseball21

A forever stamps value increases with the hike. So last year a letter was 50 cents and if you had a forever stamp from last year you could mail a letter with it. Now a letter is 55 cents, but the forever stamp from last year would still be able to mail a letter with no additional fee despite the price increase

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

So if I buy a stamp for 50 cents in December and now wish to use it in January or any time after the price hike... Unless it's a forever stamp, I'd have to use a 5 cent stamp to make it 55 cent total?

7. baseball21

Yes. If it's just metered postage like that you will have to pay extra for the price hike unless it's a forever one

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes, basically if you bought a forever stamp in 2007 when they first became available and use it 10 years from now no matter what the postage is in the future that requires one stamp for a 1 ounce letter ... you don't need to buy any additional postage as that stamp is worth it's "single stamp" amount Forever ....

I googled it .. apparently in 2011 most stamps became "forever" stamps (except in coils of 500, 3000 & 10000). If it doesn't show a postage then it's a forever stamp.
    ==> https://about.usps.com/news/fact-sheets/forever-stamp-facts.htm

charlietig and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Zone-based pricing? I thought in the US the goal was to have the same shipping fees throughout the entire country?

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That’s part of the reason the Postal Service is in financial straits. They should have gone to zone pricing eons ago.

11. baseball21

The HUGE discounts companies like Amazon get are a far bigger issue. So is the fact that it's cheaper to ship something from China to Indiana than it is NY to PA due to the postal treaty.

Zone pricing makes sense if it was actually real zone pricing. With how they did it it's basically just marketing to say they're charging more. If it was real zone pricing shipping down the street or within your state would be MUCH cheaper

Paul M., Bambam8778 and Kasia like this.
  12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

All stamps are forever stamps now.

13. baseball21

Most certainly are but you can actually still buy 1C, 2C, 3C, 5C, 10C just to name a few. Plus electronic postage from the machines at the post office and a few others.

14. Clawcoins

I thought they used to have zone based pricing eons ago but stopped.

15. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Thats Crazy! Especially how flat rate packages is moving to zone based pricing.

16. baseball21

There was zone based priority flat rates where some were a little cheaper, but now it's gone the other way with being a cost increase.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's why last year when I had the chance I bought five rolls of forever stamps from a "local" dealer, for $43 a roll. Every time I have to mail something now I'm saving almost 22% on postage.

61 posts to go

Paul M. and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  18. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

The USPS should have never gotten into the collectibles "business" either.

I see what you're doing there , Condor.
    Only 61 more to go....

19. Clawcoins

Ooh i see. Countdown to 20k
    Screenshot_2019-01-29-06-21-33~2.png

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is there a cheap way to ship books?

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Forever stamps were developed to stop from printing enormous amounts of lower priced stamps to cover the postage increase.

If you have a first class postage stamp that has the word forever on it then you do not need to add the additional postage when rates go up. They are always good at the going rate.

longshot and iPen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted