USPS frustration

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by COOPER12, Oct 18, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Mailed a package to Georgia and 1 to Florida past Friday, zero updates to scans since then. Still say they haven't left the p.o. i mailed them out of. Sigh.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I am waiting on 2 packages. 1 from FL and one from CA. Florida one was supposed to be here on the 14th and the other yesterday. Haven't been scanned since the 10th and the 9th respectively. Somewhere out in the ether.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  4. CoinJockey73

Maybe mine is there too. If so, i hope it brings a little back ;).

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. CoinJockey73

@Cheech9712 i mailed that Canadian funny money out yesterday via usps first class $.73. I was told no need to certify, no need for proof of delivery, it'll get there fine. That's what they said. Fingers crossed

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that things sent regular mail with no tracking have an easier time getting where they are supposed to go in a timely manner than things with tracking numbers.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Florida is a hole, lots of parcels disappear down there. I had a package ordered and I was shocked. It normally takes 3 days to get here from New Hampshire. Sometimes it takes a week but I received mine on Monday. I ordered it on Friday.

8. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Everyone has different experiences. I've shipped USPS all my adult life and never had anything like this happen...a few delays but nothing like this/similar, etc. Have had issues with UPS and Fed Ex...sent to wrong address, temp lost (but eventually found), etc. Understand/agree USPS isn't what it used to be...but what/who is...? One thing to be sure and do is affix/wrap/tape well and print large, clear and completely all segments of address, esp zip. One thing I can't help thinking would improve at least one segment of USPS delivery...maybe would contribute to an improvement of other segments...is the junk/advertising "mail." I have companies that send me a dozen brochures and advertisers a month...two or three a week...plus all the others. There are days when that's all I get...the postman/lady makes a trip/time all the way to my rural house to deliver nothing but junk mail. What a waste of all sorts of things. They ought to hold the junk/advertising materials...anything with the pre-sort postage, etc...for one delivery day a week. Understand not so simple, but something like that. Have tried opting out of adv mail with/by/to co., but never works.

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know if I read it right, but I thought I saw something about shipping items over XX dollars will not need to be signed for, by U.S. Mint. Is that right? I've got an order for the 2021 American Liberty Gold coin. I worry about that. I had a package delivered by UPS that I was supposed to sign for. I saw him come to the door and I answered just as he was signing my name to that electric whatever. The USPS is not the only one with shipping and receiving problems.

10. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

Well I have purchase hundreds of coins with hundreds of orders, many through the USPS, and I have lost only one order over the recent years. The system is not perfect, but it does deliver.

I also have receipts going back for nearly all the coins I have purchased. Document, document, document, such is life in the 21st century.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

All of the shipping companies have just been having the carriers sign for packages for the last like year and a half

harrync likes this.
  12. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

This is why I don't send stuff important to the result "Registered Mail".

COOPER12 likes this.
  13. CoinJockey73

Update, the Georgia package arrived this morning, no update scans between departure and arrival scans, not one.
    No updates on the Florida package. Supposed to arrive Thursday.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

True but all it takes is one big one. I keep receipts on what I have but do not have them for everything

15. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Most of you buy from vendors other than the Mint. I have the receipts for everything that I bought from the Mint, ebay, and a couple from Mike whatever his last name when he was on HSN, Rick whatever for his show when I got an ASE that had come from a Congratulation Set, MCM, and the Canadian Mint. I keep all my documentation (receipts, etc.) in sheet protectors in a binder for each year, along with a Excel Spreadsheet for each year. My coins, etc. are kept in a box for each year. I've got my receipts back to 2008. As you can tell, I am a little to a lot, anal with documentation.

COOPER12 likes this.
  16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

You should send it registered mail only... sorry this happened to you.

17. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

It doesn't get lost either. I have sent many packages to cac and pcgs this way. Believe it or not though pcgs ships packages back priority. Not registered. I make sure I have every detail of everything I send in, in case this happens. Idk why they don't send back that way unless my submission is under a certain amount or something idk.

cplradar and COOPER12 like this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It goes to express over a certain value. The reality is that the loss rate for any of them is so small it is advantageous to get to back quicker than have what can take weeks with registered for a minimal increase in security.

19. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I know a guy that works for the Postal Service in Florida. He says that the postal service is sending more mail by truck rather then by air since October 1st, which is why they relaxed the service standards times. So lets say you are sending something from NY to Florida. The truck stays in NY until it has a full load for Florida, when full, it is dispatched. Travels direct to Florida, hence no scans on items in truck until arrival at destination. If it went by air, it might have to go to Atlanta airport to be loaded onto a different plane, then you would see an "enroute processed" scan in Atlanta. That explains the lack of tracking updates. Postal Bigwigs see trucking as a more cost efficient way to move mail as well as more reliable. (think Southwest airlines problems last weekend). It just takes longer.
    I would ask my buddy to look into your package to Florida, but I know he is off this week! I'm sure it will get there.:happy::happy:

CoinJockey73 and furryfrog02 like this.
  20. CoinJockey73

This guy that works for the postal service sounds like a pillar of the community. Possibly one of the nicest guys I've ever heard of. Please, thank him for all of us.

The estimate for arrival for the package is Thursday by 9pm. I'd offer my friend the tracking number, so he can follow this 3.5lb package that cost over 15 bucks to mail. But there's no progress to follow!
    I just hope my envelope mailed to @Cheech9712 from NY to NY via first class mail, gets there ok. I did it like you said @Cheech9712, inside flips, taped to a folded piece of thin cardboard. Hope it finds you well.

21. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I'm sure your friend already knows the tracking # if he has informed delivery, it will have shown him it is on the way with the estimated arrival date, and tracking number. What a coincidence, my friend who works for USPS birthday just happens to be Thursday ! Wish I had thought ahead because I bet he would be THRILLED to get a 3.5 lb package of interesting goodies from a good friend, as I'm sure your friend will be thrilled too! I guess I'll just have to figure out something to do with him to celebrate!

CoinJockey73 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted