USPS frustration

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by COOPER12, Oct 18, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It could never be that simple because the USPS is targeted with insurance scams. It doesn't have to be this hard either. The thing about insurance though, is that if you don't have adequate documentation and assessment of value from a third party, then there is no point to the insurance. Think Judge Judy. BTW - the same problem happens if your coins are stolen. You get ZERO cooperation by the cops or the auction houses. There is no starting point of, "First we believe the victim".

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Dynoking, UncleScroge and Treashunt like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The scariest thing about that story is the Post Office; Laurel, MD, is my post office. They are horrible.

5. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

Well I found some ebay sold prices on the 1878 cc morgan , 1934 s peace dollar .
    I have my ebay receipt for the 1894 o Morgan , 1853 Quarter and 1925 S Peace Dollar so fingers crossed that they will do the right thing . If they deny that then my last response will be a scanned photo of the middle finger.

6. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

What they will probably do is approve the claim for the 3 you have eBay receipts for. What they are looking for is the actual loss you incurred, not what they are worth. Having proof of what you paid for the items is key here. The other 2 showing comp prices will PROBABLY not be approved.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@COOPER12 Have you thought about calling your congressman? You can file a complaint with them.

COOPER12 likes this.
  8. COOPER12

its a good idea to

Collecting Nut likes this.
  9. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

the loss is the value. Your right. They will try to get away with lowballing him by going by the reciepts. But is it is BS, and it wouldn't hold up in court if he had a reliable value accessment. Coin software helps with this type of stuff if you put reciepts and values into the coin entries. OpenNusimat http://opennumismat.github.io/ has a segment on market information that can print reports that can support such claims. I wish it had an entry for reciepts specifically.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    COOPER12 likes this.
  10. COOPER12

The main thing for me is the fact that they can be crooks and get away with it .
    Wether the package was stolen or lost they do not have to have any accountability .
    So sending something you have had for years , send at your own risk .
    I feel violated more than anything . Minus the 1878 cc I am just really mad at that one.

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That has always been the reality. That is why dependable postal service was one of the first things they put into the US Governments and the Consitution. Sending things is inherently a crap shoot and now that nobody gets off their tuchas and shops, it is worst now. Considering, the service is remarkable efficient and secure. It is far less than perfect and the attacks on the postal service for decades is not useful at all.

It is also why we have a whole segment of wire and mail fraud laws.

But at the end of the day, when you send something, it is a risk and insurance always sucks. IMO there should be a 500 dollar or less special procedure for expediating such claims. Or no insurance unless is it more than $5000, because it is BS. If the stakes are not high enough, then it is not worth the legal procedures.

FWIW, I bet this package shows up. Call your Congressman.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

and they should TELL you that when you buy insurance.

COOPER12 likes this.
  13. COOPER12

I really hope it just shows up , but the fact it was last scanned 9/8 it looks like my hopes are low.

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

BTW the scanning info is BS. I don't know how it works, but I've had packages seemly disapear from the maps, and show up with a comple list of everywhere it went - a week later.

COOPER12 likes this.
  16. Beardigger

I understand completely what you are saying. But the value of a coin is subjective in absence of a written appraisal. So if you bought a coin for $100 and the potential value is $500 dollars, the insurance sees the actual loss as $100 since the "value" of the coin (in absence of a written appraisal) has not been realized or confirmed.

17. Beardigger

BTW @COOPER12 You can go to USPS.COM and do a Mail Recovery Center Search. If your package was damaged in shipping and the label became unreadable, It should have been sent to the Mail Recovery Center (MRC).
    Go to USPS.COM....under the HELP tab, choose FIND MISSING MAIL.....Then choose option # 3. fill out the requested information, and submit the search request. You may get lucky and they find it there. Worth a shot.

cplradar likes this.
  18. COOPER12

Yeah did the mail recovery request . I decided to file the claim when it came back not enough information.

19. Beardigger

Stranger things have happened. Are you sure ANACS hasn't received it? Sometimes scanning barcodes get damaged and the package still gets to its destination.

harrync and cplradar like this.
  20. COOPER12

yeah , I asked a few weeks ago and they did not have it. I do not see it on there website either.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can also file a complaint with the postal inspection office for your area.

COOPER12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted