USPS almost lost my cherrypick! :(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This NEVER happens to me but I guess my number was up. It was a nice $35 cherry but things could have gone horribly wrong. Thank god the seller put the coin in a corrugated cardboard thing AND most importantly in the fold of the invoice paper. Must have been machine damage.

Pic as I got it with gaping hole. Then opening it. Which, on a silver lining note, did at least make it for easy opening lol...

20170831_164241_HDR.jpg 20170831_164305_HDR.jpg 20170831_164402_HDR.jpg 20170831_164454_HDR.jpg 20170831_164530_HDR.jpg 20170831_164602_HDR.jpg 20170831_164632_HDR.jpg

geekpryde, steve.e, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Phew! Glad you got it, if only by the luckiest of lucky moments.

Reminds me of the time someone sent me 5 rolls of NIFC Kennedy Halves in a Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box...without taping ANY of the edges. Box was open on one end when I got it...somehow (no idea how) the coins were all in there...

...which was a much better result than the previous person who'd done that exact same thing, and I received an empty box.

spirityoda and jester3681 like this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Man, I'm so glad that one actually made it to you with the contents.. You had some seriously good karma banked up for that one. :)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad you got it unharmed. That is definitely a burn from getting stuck in a machine. It happens to plastic bags a lot. Under packing to save a few cents is not worth it.

6. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Nice! I see that E. I have been searching for that one too. Was it noted by the seller?

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nope. And how a seller can miss something like this from looking at it, to taking the pics, to uploading the pics says a lot about cherrypicking.

8. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

Love Morgans but just getting into VAM's, that is what you are referring to? Are you referring to the clashed E under the tail feathers?

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yes he is. This is a VAM 1A4. The 91o VAM 1A series is the strongest E clash of the entire series.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oh, no you didn't. O_O

Yeah, it looks like a burn from sticking in a machine it was too wide for. Talk about luck - don't take any chances for a while. :)

Cascade likes this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just wait until I get today's mail ;)

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I have long since learned to suspend my sense of disbelief at what you come up with. :p

Cascade likes this.
  13. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

I understand what a clash is, but how did an E get to where it is?

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

From the E in Liberty on the obverse.

15. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

But if it is two dies hit one another, wouldn't that put the E in the UNITED field?

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

No, it's the E in LIBERTY in Liberty's cap not the E of E PLURIBUS UNUM.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yeah. If I ship in a mailer its always a small paper/bubble envelope inside a medium paper/bubble. I would never personally ship in one of these thin plastic envelopes. Even if coin was in a corrugated cardboard thing.

18. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

thanks, got it now. Did not occur to me to look there, but that is where it points to.

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Google "Morgan dollar overlay" and go to photos and you can see where one side of a coins design will end up on the other side during a clash event barring any rotation. You can do this for other series as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted