Using Skype v4.1 screenshare to show and talk coins. Very neat - Free

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 2CentRick, Jan 29, 2010.

1. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

The latest version of Skype (v4.1) has a new feature called screen share. It is really neat and totally free. Ya gotta check it out!
    A couple of nights ago, I was talking with an old friend for free using our computers and the Skype program. We decided to check out a new Skype feature called screen share. This feature allows the person who you are talking to, see what is currently being displayed on your desktop. With in a few minutes of playing around, I was showing him a photo album of some of my coins. In less than a second of time, he would get the next photo that I would pull up as we were discussing the merits of the coin. Mind you, he was on the other side of the country, 3,000 miles away. I could enlarge the photo and point out things with the mouse cursor with virtually no time lag. You also can use your webcam.
    I think this a good step towards a virtual real time coin shop. I have no idea of what security issues there might be. Do you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

I just re read my post in the sober daylight and think I went too far with a virtual coin shop and security issues. However, if you got high speed and a computer that can handle it, you should give it a try with a friend - even if they don't collect. It is cool.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That sounds real cool:hail:

5. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Rick,

We just recently started using Skype at work ..... I agree the screen share feature is really really nice when discussing spreadsheets, photos, maps, drawings, websites, etc.

And like you stated it is all free ...... as long as you have internet service and communicate with people with Skype accounts.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Many cell phones already exist with features that allow Live Video Feed, in more sophisticated device networks such as *Japan*, so you can show people on the other end of the call what you are doing/experiencing, where you are at live at any moment, take it along to a presentation or lecture, what have you. Perhaps dealers could take such a phone and communicate to a buyer with a basic video image of a coin they have found for a buyer, or you might go off to the coin shop and find a coin your friend would love but isn't around to see... ring up your friend and they could tag along... maybe the US will get such technology in a couple more decades but as usual, we're behind the rest of the world. You can also stream live video to the internet with some devices.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

The technology is there, but some security issues will need to be addressed. So inside the company firewall we forbid certain apps from being used - skype being one of them. I do not know all of the reasons for this, but we have been using other desktop sharing apps(or desktop control) for years. Just depends on your IT shop and company investment in the technology.

8. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

We have a client from Europe, Sweden, who has offices in the USA ... they use it in lieu of the telephone whereever possible with the call forwarding option. Some guys use a webcam but most just have a desk microphone/headset. They still do use email but they do like to IM a lot through Skype.

Draft saved Draft deleted