Using Old SLR Equipment?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pocket Change, May 7, 2010.

1. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I have an "old" set of SLR Olympus equpment - OM-2, OM-1N. I know the SLR bodies are worthless as far as coins are concerned. But my question involves the lenses.

I have an Olympus 28mm (3.5), Olympus 50mm (1.4), and a 70 - 150 mm variable.

Has anyone bought the NEW "digital" cameras and tried to attach them to the older Olympus lenses?

I appreciate any feedback - even if you say to throw it overboard!!!!

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I'm in the same boat with Nikon brand lenses. My Digital SLR manual has a section on comparing different generation lenses, and the functionality loss of each lense group. I'd look into (maybe online) a manual for the new camera you want to use and see if the manufacturer has done this homework for you.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The same for my set of Konica Hexanon lenses. The 105 is sooo nice for portraits :(
    But if I go DSLR, the modern lenses are manufactured so such more precisely( Remember when the average HD was 10 mb?, now close to a TB) that they will outperform technically the older lenses, and are somehow designed so they deliver this maximum ability to the DSLR chip. Go modern! Its only money :) and think of all you will learn.

5. Coinman_Ben

Coinman_Ben Member

The best camera I've used for taking pictures of coins is my HP photosmart camera. Be sure to turn off the flash and press the button that says "mode" to set your camera to "macro". This setting is the best setting for coins.

6. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

!**sigh**!

I understand your pain.

Know anybody that needs this?

Photo taken with a camera that cost me less that the lens board I paid for this one.

Attached Files:

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Love the Linhof! How about a B23 Enlarger, nikon 80mm enlarging lens, extended length. Still in the shed in case I decide to make it into a copy stand :)

Photoshop would have been considered a pact with the devil. I remember waving my dodging wand around like Merlin.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Spent more time with this than with my girlfriend at the time, now she's just gathering dust in the basement... (the enlarger, not my girlfriend:D).

[​IMG]

9. DoK U Mint

B22V here

Yep. Merlin & I shared the panty hose strung hoops through which light of defraction traveled.

Thanks for sharing the pain. Stopped by the ole School and offered to donate an entire "Dark Room" But they already had several. Don't need no more.

Plus I've considered the concept of converting its towards a 50 lbs copy stand for my own use.

"Sigh"

Now Lyle Lovett comes on the radio telling me not to "Touch My Hat".

One dern Thing after another.

10. DoK U Mint

Cool!

I still have a crush on my Graylab timer instead of that.....thing...you have there.:p

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I sold the Gralab 300 a couple of years ago. This "thing" came with a bunch of garage sale finds. The Gralab sold in a day, I've tried selling the "thing" a half dozen times with no takers.... maybe I should have a contest:D

12. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

hilarious!

I've decided that mine yaps regardless of how much or how little time is actually spent...

Draft saved Draft deleted