USB Microscope...which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by littlecoin, Mar 9, 2017.

1. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

I read about 20-30 different models.
    I'ld like one with adjustable magnification (i.e. being able to see under 10X, 30x and maybe 200X if such a thing is needed). I looked at several and can't tell the difference. I guess the difference is made by experience without buying 10 till I find one that's good.
    I'm into this as hobby but trying to get serious about it, so I do not want a toy microscope but also can't spend 1000 USD on it.

I'm more confused after reading than before...so...
    I'm listening to all advise.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

The best you can afford. :)
    JON

littlecoin likes this.
  4. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

:p but what's "best"?

5. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Well if it was me and Lets just say I wanted to spend lets say $79.99 I would start googling, Find a few in that price range. Then start searching each one reading comments and pick the best that my $79 bucks could buy with the best comments.

But that is just me and how I buy things, I do not own one just use my phone and zoooooom!!! ;);)

CREATIVECRHUNTER and littlecoin like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm tagging @coinzip (Alan) who can give you the best information and show you images of varying capabilities. In my opinion, he is the best person to ask.

Chris

littlecoin likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you want to get serious, you may want to consider a macro setup (using an actual camera), but all depends on your wants and/or needs. Unfortunately, many so called "USB scopes" leave much to be desired (especially the more inexpensive versions). Just take a look at many of the images post here taken with them; while they may be sufficient for basic forum posting, they're generally far from good. Not all - the gentleman Chris tagged is an exception - but the majority are.

@desertgem has written of pitfalls and limitations in the past, so perhaps he can be of some help here as well.

BadThad, Paul M. and littlecoin like this.
  8. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Lighthouse microscope from ebay and it works fine, they are pretty expensive though so you have to watch for a deal. Here's a sample. dimeREV.jpg

9. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

@longarm that's a beautiful pic
    what magnif is that?
    i'm loving that microscope :jawdrop:

10. longarm

I don't know, it's got a wheel that you turn to focus, you can also turn the light up and down which helps.

littlecoin likes this.
  11. longarm

One complaint I do have is the lack of color, I'm still experimenting with the lighting so that helps some. 2016wREV.jpg 2016wOBV.jpg

Paul M. and Bambam8778 like this.
  12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

What is the intended purpose?

stoster38 and littlecoin like this.
  13. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

I'm learning ..but I'ld like to one day see things like split serifs, other signs of doubling, without imagining them...and take decent pictures of them.
    So far, with my jewelers loupe (30x and 60x) I can see but sometimes it's hard to tell a small shadow, flat impression or stain from a scratch or gouge for example.

Plus, the loupe angle can distort the image (e.g. an O can seem fatter or elongated SW but if I straighten the angle of view, there's no real distortion of the O).

And ...taking a good pic through a loupe is close to impossible.
    Granted I don't have experience, but I bet if i could see without distortion I could learn the right thing by seeing it and call real errors.

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

Is it safe to assume your "30x" and "60x" loupes are inexpensive Chinese models? I ask because from your description it sounds like they're not of the claimed magnification, which is fairly common with inexpensive loupes. A true 30x should be more than enough to see most any accepted variety clearly. In fact, I believe the strongest I ever used was 16x, and was sufficient.

As for a USB scope, please spend a little time reading up on exactly how they work, especially if you're worried about distortion. Most simply will not be the solve-all you seem to think, and in fact, may put you at an even greater disadvantage. As an example: did you know that many of such scopes are notorious for giving the impression, due to the lights/glare, of doubling where none is present?

Paul M. and littlecoin like this.
  15. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Yes. I purchased a scope for around $20. It does the job nicely for the price BUT that doubling you describe is miserable sometimes. You definitely need to move the coin around and look at different angles. I like mine but you do get what you pay for!

16. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

@BooksB4Coins American Loupes...well...from an USA seller, no idea where they're made. Using it is killing my neck LOL plus can't stand the distortion..that's my main complaint about them. Second complaint is the inability to take a pic without blurr of something I can see very well with the loupe.

@Bambam87 indeed....the distortion is horrible :(

17. BooksB4Coins

Thanks for confirming this. You saved me from having to search out links to independently verify the issue.

18. Bambam8778

No problem. Depends on what my plans are this weekend, I may be able to get a couple pics up here of the same coin with different angles. Cents are the worst for this.

littlecoin likes this.
  19. littlecoin

littlecoin Member

that distortion mimicking doubling happens with microscopes too?

20. Bambam8778

This is the one I bought. I don't have any other experience with others. IMG_2807.PNG

21. BooksB4Coins

Yes and is VERY common.

Draft saved Draft deleted