USA Coin book site

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by odinsruleg8, Jun 11, 2017.

1. odinsruleg8

odinsruleg8 Active Member

Has any members used US coin book to sell coins? they do sound better than Ebay, Amazon.. etc. etc..Input appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've never even heard of it. I think CoinTalk is the best place to sell coins :)

4. SilverDemon

SilverDemon New Member

I have but just to get an idea of coin value, I think it's pretty good for that

5. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

I started selling on USACOINBOOK.com in March. I have made 109 sales so far, averaging just over 1 coin sale a day. It is the best designed coin site I have ever seen. As one guy above says, it is great even just for pricing. The guy who designed and wrote it is a pHD physicist who is also a coin freak, and he did a phenomenal job. It's geared specifically to coins, not a generic site like eBay. It has a small audience but is growing quickly. I HIGHLY recommend it. Check ME there, I am SilverWillie member ID.
    http://www.usacoinbook.com/members/SilverWillie/
    Hint, they have an auction feature but it's really a BIN site buy it now. That's where the action is. ALSO? They only take 2% on your sale. No listing fees, no membership fees, no per sale fee like eBay. I LOVE it.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Gilbert, u812?, odinsruleg8 and 2 others like this.
  6. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Also, I didn't even KNOW Coin Talk allowed me to sell here. I can't find such an option on the main menu. HELP? Anyone?

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Go to Forums, and scroll down to Buy, Sell, Trade and post there.

8. ToughCOINS

Interesting . . . a viable alternative to eBay, and likely far less frequented by predatory sellers . . . at least at this time.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As well as Coinzip.com
    Which I will add is growing even bigger as Alan promotes shows nation wide.
    Plus all the other information and contacts this site provides .
    I highly recommend that all members here check out the site if not to purchase but to locate shows near your location or a location you're visiting .
    Here's something that you may not know.
    Let's say like my self travel for business and you're in a location ,a city or area that you aren't familiar with.
    You discover that during your stay a show is going to be held.
    Again not familiar you can go right on coinzip.com touch an icon and get directions right to the show!
    Yes step by step directions from your hotel to a coin show. Pretty sweet huh?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    coinzip and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

The suggested prices are a great guideline, but like every retail pricelist I have ever seen it is inflated. Figure by up to 50%. MY methodology is to look at all the listing for the variety/date/mint/ of what I'm selling, look at the pictures and prices and then place my item strategically in the least in lowest by price order here it is a better buy. Greed impedes. I'd rather make a buck less and move inventory than wait for a few extra pennies. And people appreciate it. Also? I ALWAYS offer free shipping. Like eBay, if it is not free shipping you see the price then have to click the item to see the total which I find offensive. When smart people see a coin at $10/00 free shipping and it is placed BEFORE someone else's in the list and the item price is $8.00, common sense tells me that the 2 bucks PLUS shipping is still two bucks out of my pocket.

11. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

Just joined CoinZip.com. Thanks.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never sold on the site, but have made many great purchases from it!

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You know Alan is a member here on coin talk? I also highly recommend either setting up or going to a show of the Battlefield show group.
    I was at one last week in New Market Md.
    There premier show Gettysburg this coming September is one that quite a few members here on CT love.
    This September is the 4th show at Gettysburg Pa.
    It's at a hotel so if you wish to make a weekend trip site seeing , tours of the town and battlefield I highly recommend . There's even accommodations for RV's.
    Not to mention that early Fall in this part of Pennsylvania is just a real treat.

14. ToughCOINS

I agree with you regarding free shipping. Not so much on the prices in the guide.

While very common coins may well be overpriced, many better date coins in the guide are VASTLY underpriced.

15. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

I have to believe you. Can you cite me an example or two? I would like to see if there might be some kind of pattern. My only guess is that because the guy that runs the site has a scientific background he might be looking at average sale prices over time. Of time and with the more rare coin there is a smaller sample to get his numbers from, as there are fewer coins and obviously fewer sold over time so if it is a rising star in terms of collectability the price is probably going up. This is just a theory of course. But thanks for your post.

16. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I just looked at Indian Head quarter eagles for sale on the site. I only buy certified coins, and the few certified coins on the site were way overpriced. I don't know if this is representative or not, but it doesn't make me want to do more checking.

odinsruleg8 likes this.
  17. ToughCOINS

Of course . . . A couple of instances that immediately come to mind . . .

50c 1873-CC No Arrows in VF20 . . . Grey Sheet bid is $1750, and USAcoinbook retail is $1100. I have one in a PCGS holder on my site that I paid far more handsomely for than a mere $1100 minus suitable markup.

$10.00 1881-O in AU50 . . . Grey Sheet bid is $3500, while USAcoinbook retail is $1841.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  18. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

19. odinsruleg8

odinsruleg8 Active Member

great info folks..and thanks..

20. ToughCOINS

You are correct . . . the published prices for the $2.50 Indians are exceptionally high across the board.

21. ToughCOINS

After poking around a bit, and offering on some coins, I've drawn the conclusion that I like the organization of the site. It's no eBay, for sure, but it is industry-specific, and I expect it will be around for quite a long time.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted