USA Bison and Indian notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by edteach, Jan 10, 2023.

1. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I bought these two notes. One is graded and the other is not. I am not sure exactly how to get one graded but it may be worth it for the Bison note. Any replies on these two notes would be helpful. I don't know what the value of these are. So if its OK with the forum rules, if I could get an approx. value of what these notes go for in this conditions. Thanks. 1.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg s-l1600.jpg

ancient times and SteveInTampa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Two of the most iconic notes in our hobby. Congratulations.

Personally and respectfully, my lower threshold for these would be VF. The lower grade notes, Fine and Good just don’t have the eye appeal of VF and higher notes. Five years ago you could buy these for $350-$450. Now they’re $550 and up. My advice is to first determine what grade range you like and are happy with, and save for that goal. Many new collectors buy a low grade note because of the price thinking that they’ll upgrade to a nicer note later on. Save up and buy it once. I also recommend buying notes with original paper qualities.

My two examples that I sold as part of my collection last year.

F74AF321-D878-4028-92A5-E188815E254C.jpeg 24CAD40D-B542-47C7-B1B0-35B1A187A427.jpeg E3BBED78-30E3-49D0-A291-6688DE1E13B1.jpeg 938FFB2F-DBA1-40CA-B78A-AC42D783F9AA.jpeg

4. edteach

I doubt you will touch the high grade for any where near that today. Maybe if the recession gets worse and people are not buying or selling off what they have but as of now I doubt it. I paid 600 for this one. I did due diligence and looked around. I know high end things are the best to invest into. But since this is not my main hobby by a long shot the mid grades will do fine. For a VF20 they sell for about 200 more give or take. So these will work well for what I am looking for. One of my many things I collect is Watches. I have Omegas and other high end watches but although I would like a Rolex they are so over priced its not reasonable to buy one unless I run across a great deal. There are two schools of thought on collecting, first is to buy the best quality you can afford. The idea is you can later sell it and there will be more interest from high end buyers. The other is buy a mid grade and when you sell it it, if the high end goes up, these will follow. Its all in what an individual wants. For an investment I don't really look to coins or paper money but guns and silver and gold. That is what will hold value if SHTF. Thanks for the post.

5. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve.

6. edteach

To pick up notes like Steve has will set you back 1500 and up. More like 2k For me I just can not justify that kind of money for a couple of notes I like. I get for some they want the very best available. That has never really appealed to me really. Nice examples that have been there are of more interest to me. I collect German and Japanese WW2 medals daggers and uniforms. I like a bit of the its been there done that not it belonged to some person who's rear end was the shape of his chair. But that is me. As long as everyone is happy with what they have its all good.

masterswimmer likes this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I had similar thoughts when I entered the hobby. But over time, as my collection grew, I started looking at it as a savings account that was fun to look at. In the end, it paid off.

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You know what Steve, Ed is absolutely right. He enjoys what he bought. And that's all that matters.

You know what Ed, Steve is absolutely right. From a collectors POV his way will likely retain and/or increase value better.

Bottom line, both of you are absolutely right. That's the wonderful part of this hobby. The only one that needs to be satisfied is the coin/note/bullion/medal owner.

Enjoy.........

9. edteach

Swimmer, that is what I was trying to say exactly. There are all levels of collecting. I have collected guns for many years. From Civil war to more modern guns. One never knows what will go up and how fast. The first AK I bought I paid 300 for it. that was early 1980s. That Gilnic Peoples Liberation Army is not easy to find and it runs 5k now. But someone who can afford to buy a Luger 45 that was made for evaluation by the US military would shell out around 2 million if you could even find it for sale. Famous guns like the No. 1 1873 Colt SAA would run you at least a few million.

Only one of Adolf Hitlers Walther's has ever been found. If you could buy that PPK or PP it would run into the many millions. Unless one is Elon Musk or Dr. Evil there are some things that will be out of most everyone's budget. One has to buy what they like and can afford or wish to spend on a certain thing.

I don't know for sure about coins and paper money but guns have never went down in value, not until the 08 crash. In that event, Modern ARs AKs and the like and gold and silver and long term storage food is all the matters. I hope that never happens but in looking on what are the odds that the US will not keep declining? We are in debt and wend the US can not service that debt its game over. I believe we tipped the point where there are almost more people on some sort of assistance than who work. Fresh water is running out fast, food is starting to be shortages and many many others things.

Even Social Security is insolvent in 2035. Too many people on the planet chasing ever fewer resources. I hope all my long term food goes bad after 40 years because I did not need it. I hope I am wrong but I don't see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted