Featured US Treasury Medal, Engraved Grace Kelly, 1956 - A Mystery

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by robinjojo, Dec 24, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thanks

I did try a search, but so far there seems to be only that one publicity photo from the AP. I'm not terribly surprised. This occasion was a fairly minor one, with her immanent departure for Monaco to marry Rainier III. A photo of the reverse or dedication side of the medal would have been very helpful.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

I just stumbled upon this post and was intrigued by it. So, I went to the National Archives and did a search. I came across this link: https://www.archives.gov/files/reco...-the-treasury/rg-0056/nc1-056-83-02_sf115.pdf which goes to a PDF concerning the retention or destruction of short films featuring celebrities promoting U.S. Savings bonds.

In addition to Grace Kelly, other celebrities promoting Savings Bonds around that time period included Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Walter Brennan, Rock Hudson, June Allyson, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Webb, Elizabeth Montgomery, Marlon Brando, Gene Autry, etc.

So my thinking is that perhaps some, if not all, of these folks received their own engraved medal similar to the OP's. If so, expanding the search to include these celebs might yield additional info to help with the provenance.

7Calbrey, NSP and LakeEffect like this.
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Maybe contact the major auction sites, to see if they've ever come across any? Most, if not all, of these celebs have passed on, so at least a few estates have been liquidated. May be worth the price of a stamp or an e-mail.

robinjojo likes this.
  5. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

robinjojo likes this.
  6. robinjojo

Thank for the link.

I will see what documentation they may have.

7. robinjojo

Thanks

Several years ago there was an auction or sale in the US of some of Grace Kelly's possessions from her estate, mostly clothing as I recall, but I don't recall seeing anything referring to a medal.

8. I would love to enter the giveaway but i dont have my own email, im 13, im a kid coin collecter and im trying to get better, The crazy thing is the other day i found a 1969 s with DOUBLE DIE OBVERSE. it says it could be sold for 44,000 IN A MINT STATE. I am never going to sell it because i want value to go up. Is that the right thing to do?

9. robinjojo

Welcome to Cointalk, Zayne.

Wow, that's a really cool find! I'm not really knowledgeable with US coinage, but the important thing is that your coin is very special to you.

Of course, hang on to it, and enjoy it. Perhaps it will serve as a starting point in discovering the world of coin collecting, and appreciating the history and art behind their creations.

Here's something you might find interesting: Did you know that Athens, 2,500 years ago had a source of silver that was so rich that the Athenians produced the most widely circulated coin of its time? That is the Athenian tetradrachm. A tetradrachm is equal to four drachms (tetra is Greek for four). Each drachm weighs 4.33 grams, so a tetradrachm normally weighs around 17.3 grams. That is how coins were valued back then, by weight.

One the first side, the obverse, we have Athena, the patron goddess of Athens, wearing her helmet and in profile looking right with her almond-shaped eye. She is the goddess of wisdom, craft and war. She also has a slight smile, known as the Attic smile. Attica is the area encompassing Athens.

On the second side, the reverse, there is the small Attic owl, the owl of Athena, who goes with her wherever she goes. Next to the owl are the Greek letters AOE, which translates to "of the Athenians". To the left is a crescent moon. Some experts think this moon refers to the historic victory of Athens over the invading fleet of the Persians at Salamis in September 480 BC, during a crescent moon. Next to the crescent moon is an olive and leaves, symbolizing an important crop for Athens and the Greeks.

17.23 grams

D-Camera Athens  tetradrachm, mint state, c. 454-404 BC 17.23 g, Roma 62, 12-1-20.jpg

Historians often refer to Athens as the "Cradle of Democracy". It was the Athenians who formalized the idea of one man, one vote. Their democracy, though was not perfect - they had slaves, women could not vote, and only native born men of property had that right.

So, I hope you find this little presentation interesting and increases your curiosity for this wonderful pastime. Remember, enjoy what you collect, collect within your means, and explore the wonderful tapestry of history and civilization that each coin has to offer.

7Calbrey and RonSanderson like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is great, if it is true. You have to understand that over the years we have had hundreds of people come through here believing that they have found one, but I don't believe a single one of them has actually turned out to be the real thing. Naturally this makes us very skeptical of such a claim. If you could start your own thread, with good pictures of it so it can be confirmed, we would LOVE to be able to celebrate your good fortune.

Draft saved Draft deleted