US state quarter error coin identification help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mary7, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mary7

Mary7 New Member

Hello! Can anyone help identify this error coin? Strike error or Grease strike, die adjustment? Possible washer embedded between the layers? State coin Delaware 1999 D mint. Reeding barely visible. Feels lighter than regular state coin, do not have a scale to weigh. Thicker as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards, Mary

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mary7

Mary7 New Member

Hello! Can anyone help identify this error coin? Strike error or Grease strike, die adjustment? Possible washer embedded between the layers? State coin Delaware 1999 D mint. Reeding barely visible. Feels lighter than regular state coin, do not have a scale to weigh. Thicker as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards, Mary

Attached Files:

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Those scratches all over it were made after the coin was minted, and the edge was flattened after it was minted as well. There's no telling why someone did it, but there's no way that damage happened as part of the minting process.

If a coin is caught in the drum of a dryer and spun for a while, it'll get a flattened edge like that. That also makes the coin a bit thicker, as it mashes the metal in and up at the rim.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Mary7

Mary7 New Member

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate the detailed response. Great forum to be part of

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It's all damage Mary someone had to much time on their hands.

happy_collector and Mary7 like this.
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Hi Mary, welcome to CT. I agree to what @Pickin and Grinin said. Your coin is a damaged coin. Not a mint error. You can see the scratch all over the coin, on both sides. Someone wants to "smooth the surface" to create an error effect.

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Those scratches are no accident. Someone put a fair amount of effort into it, although I can't imagine why.

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Mary7 - the Delaware Quarter you posted 4 posts above
    is on Ebay. Are you the seller?

If so, you should end the listing, and we've told you that
    it is a badly damaged/scratched coin, and not an error of any
    type.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Can you say, "Hijacked?" Mary, it is usually better to start your own post than to jump on someone else's. You'll get more coverage and answers if you present well focused, correctly orientated and cropped photos, with close ups of specific areas you have questions about. Welcome to CT.

11. Mary7

Mary7 New Member

Great. Will do. It seems like I have entered the wrong forum. I have received excellent feedback on others!

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Per her request, I transferred the posts about this coin that were made in someone else's unrelated thread to here, since @Mary7 now has her own thread about it here.

Pickin and Grinin and Mary7 like this.
  13. Mary7

Mary7 New Member

Thank you

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think that is great of you to remove the coin as it is not an error. We see these type of coins that have been altered all the time, Although with some of your searching I can see why you might have been led to believe it was.
    If you have not searched out the minting process. Here is a good site that might help you out.
    In the left hand legend is a wealth of information.
    Mostly pertaining to Variety's and not Errors.
    But you will find the Minting process if you read it through.
    Good luck on your quest for errors.
    By the way Fred is the Error expert around here. He has a website full of exciting one of a kind mint errors.

https://www.fredweinberg.com/

15. shiner74

shiner74 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted