US Silver Limited set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by David Betts, Nov 28, 2023.

1. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Wasn't really planning on adding Silver "S" Mint set released today but got sucked in with the 50,000 limit! hope in time it will warrant the $220?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

You realize that the same coins can be purchased in other configurations and the only thing about the "Limited" is the packaging. Is this the limited edition or just Silver Proof?

4. Inspector43

Also note that the 2022 set is still available from the mint. It also has a 50,000 limit but the household limit has been removed. I hope your set grows in value. Actually there are several years still available at the mint.

masterswimmer, Mr.Q and David Betts like this.
  5. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

The Limited Edition is a silver proof set, minus the cent and nickel, with a silver ASE added.

Cheaper to buy the two separately and you get the cent and nickel to boot.

David Betts and Inspector43 like this.
  6. David Betts

Just like years prior the Silver Proof set has all but the ASE 340,000 at $130 and the limited Silver Proof $220 50,000 mintage set has no cent or Nickle and has the limited packaging, big deal. As my Dad always said a fool and their money part?

Mr.Q and Inspector43 like this.
  7. David Betts

2023 Limited silver proof set Maybe they'll slip in a 'W' cent and Nickle like 2019 LOL

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Mr.Q likes this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If I live another twenty years my heirs would only gain a few dollars from these mint silver sets. Not much of a bargain for me or my heirs, I'm done.

Inspector43 and David Betts like this.
  9. Inspector43

I quit about 5 years ago.

Mr.Q likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No need to buy it based on mintages and the past current years of what’s available and they all had the 50,000 limit. I’ll put my money on the older coin’s.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Buy what you like is all that matters. I get the regular silver sets every year and have no illusions about my return on investment. ;)

Mad Stax, David Betts and Inspector43 like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My second thought is they are probably cheaper on the secondary market but I really don’t know as I have no interest in them.

David Betts likes this.
  13. Inspector43

The fact that you can still order the 2019 set from the mint would concern me from an investment perspective. Buy it because you like it, not as an investment.

David Betts, LakeEffect and green18 like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed, buy because you like it. To me, the set is redundant, having all of the coins I've already purchased earlier in the year. The packaging is stellar but the product itself is overpriced (MHO). Then again, I buy lots of stuff (mint and otherwise) that's overpriced. It's all up to the captain (collector)........ :)

15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

David, If you have buyers remorse after shelling out $220 for this set you don't have to be the 'fool' your dad was referring to. The mint allows returns with basically no questions asked. Even if shipping costs you $5-$10, IMO it's worth the return. You know your loss would be limited to whatever return shipping cost you. Keep it and your loss could easily be $60-$100.

Like @Inspector43 I also stopped buying direct from the mint, probably 6-7 years ago. If anything issued moves and shakes me, I find it much less expensive on the secondary market virtually all the time. There are those rare few issues that do go stratospheric and appreciate. But even those appear to be soon after issue and many of those return to sub-atmospheric levels in due time too.

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These sets have sold for premiums in the past, although I don't understand why. Usually collectors don't give a hoot about mint packaging. They can't wait to get the coins slabbed. This set has been an exception.

David Betts likes this.
  17. David Betts

Just got the limited silver set in and I must say not being too crazy about the Mints premiums I sure do love the looks! The 'S' proofs look far sharper than 'W' ASE does. Buy what you like the $220 is just a number!

Draft saved Draft deleted