US quarter designs getting complicated

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beardigger, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

They will start minting the 2022 before the end of the year. You realize that the first 2022 sets will go on sale in the first week of January (2021 it was January 5). The mint employees don't come in on New Years day and start minting the new coins. Quite often they mint them as early as September. With the number of coins and variations, they probably have many of them finished.

wxcoin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

They will start minting the 2022 before the end of the year.

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I like GW-01 (agree that mint mark should be below date) or GW-16.

Mac McDonald likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I honestly thought there was something on the books saying that coins couldn't be minted out of the year they were dated. Eh. Oh well. :)

6. Inspector43

They can't be released, but, they can be produced.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. CoinCorgi

I don't think this is correct #43. The think the frog is correct. @Conder101 might be able to confirm (I am too lazy right now to check myself).

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you go by the letter of the law, then no they can't be struck early. The law says that the coins have to bear the date of the year in which they were struck. But the Mint goes by the theory that it is OK as long as they are not released before the date that is on the coin. So they DO strike coins early so as to have a stockpile on hand and to be able to offer the new coin sets etc as soon as the new year arrives. Silver Eagles have been struck as early as September of the preceding year and circulation coins are commonly struck in December.

9. CoinCorgi

Ah. Thanks. Law and reality rarely intersect! ;)

furryfrog02 likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Interesting. At least I'm not crazy for thinking I had read that in the past!
    Crazy in other ways? Absolutely! :p

11. CoinCorgi

Crazy like a frog.

wxcoin and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. Inspector43

How is one persons confirmation better than another? It happens every year.

13. CoinCorgi

Seeing Conder's response, I know what the law is (and I asked Conder because I know he's answered the question before and I had verified it - but subsequently forgot everything). What you said meant that you were wrong or that the mint doesn't follow the law. That's all. Simple.

I do know they didn't release one of the presidential dollars dated 2020 (and minted in 2020) until 2021. Which doesn't violate the law.

14. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

It looks like there are several opportunities to have a Creepy Washington to go along with the Creepy Jefferson. As far as one-year designs having any extra value, I still get 1976 quarters in change regularly.

cplradar likes this.
  15. Inspector43

Well, right or wrong, they have established quite a precedent. They've been doing this for many years.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It would be a real treat to go back to a single design for about 10 years. And Washington Crossing the Delaware is the perfect design to do that.

Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I just read an article on this in the July issue of The Numismatist, which made me come back to this post of yours. In between the "American Women" series and the "Youth Sports" series, there's going to be a one-year series (in 2026) marking the 250th anniversary of American Independence.

Furthermore, "Odds are the 2022-2025 issues will feature sculptor Laura Gardin Fraser's bust of Washington that she submitted for the original 1932 issue." That means the new obverse is GW-01.

Thought you might want some news to complicate it a bit more. LOL.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Beardigger and Inspector43 like this.
  18. Inspector43

I hope everyone has fun with the new series of everything. I will no longer go after any series after this year. It is getting too complicated and expensive. We just finished two ten year runs of multiple coins and configurations. I'm not into starting another.

wxcoin, JeffC, Gilbert and 1 other person like this.
  19. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I fully agree! After 2021 no more modern quarter series for me.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

As a child quarters were worth something, so there were many circulating. For example, the Sunday newspaper was 25 cents. Now, something that used to cost a quarter is north of a dollar. Think what a quarter buys today: Very little or nothing. These redesigns are a humongous waste of time, effort and money. Totally unrealistic.

Inspector43 and wxcoin like this.
  21. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I agree. I've read in a few places that half cents, which circulated between 1793 and 1857, were created mostly to "make change" because the monetary system would often create a half cent gap in exchanges. Now it feels as if all modern coinage exists merely to "make change" because it really lacks any substantial purchasing power all by itself.

For the first time in a long time I bought something with a $20 bill yesterday. I only bought a bottled water and a "protein bar" and it came to maybe $2 and something, I don't remember the exact amount. In change I received a $10 bill, a $5 bill, a few $1 bills, a dime and 2 cents. When I looked at the bundle of change, the first I had seen in a long, long time, I realized that I could really do anything meaningful with only the bills. The change was just that, all change. Nothing more than left over fractions. Alone, it would buy me nothing. Even the $1 bills arguably have little value anymore all by themselves. Add a quarter or two to the pile and the situation wouldn't alter at all.

The coins went into a long neglected change jar where they will likely sit forever because my bank removed their change counters. And why would I ever put 12 cents into my pocket or take it with me? If I did, it would only be to "make change."

I agree that the effort put into modern coinage has become a little difficult to appreciate.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Gilbert and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted