US Quarter Blank

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hommer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Back in 2005, I opened a new roll of State Quarters and inside was a blank. Kinda cool to find or at least I thought it was. Yes it was a rare mistake from the mint, but it is blank, no date, nothing to show it is even a quarter. The materials are there to see, the nickel outer and copper inner layers. Anyone ran acoss this before?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

There is always a high danger that what you found is a slug and not a authentic unstruck blank. We would need pics to help you more sir.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

especially a picture of the rim

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If the copper core is visible on the edge, then there should be no doubt that it is an actual blank from the Mint. Since a blank does not have an upset rim, the only time it might be questionable is when you cannot see the copper core on the edge.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

oops!

I meant edge.

but, it could be a Type 2 blank, with a rim

8. cpm9ball

No biggie! I knew what you meant.

Chris

9. Hommer

20150105_104812.jpg 20150105_104050-1.jpg 20150105_104037-1.jpg Ha. Although this is my first post here I'm not completely new to coin collecting. I did find this one at a time in my life that the passion was there but not the time. In fact it was put on the back burner for 12 years. I drug some of my stuff out this weekend and ran across it in a bag of silver Kennedy's. Have no idea why I put it there.
    I did at the time, do an internet search for others like it but nothing was mentioned of a find then. Thanks for the links. Here are a few pictures.

Pickin and Grinin and Briboy07 like this.
  10. cpm9ball

Blanks are pretty hard to come by (in my opinion) because they have to bypass not only the upsetting mill but the coining chamber as well. Nice find!

Chris

11. Treashunt

YUP, TY 1

nice

12. Hommer

Thanks guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted