US Mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swick, Sep 7, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

Does anyone know why the US Mint does not sell rolls of the other coins that are in circulation? Like rolls of DIMES, NICKELS, & PENNIES? They sell rolls of everything else.....$1.00 coins, .50 cent coins, & .25 cent coins. Maybe put the coins in special wrappers, like the WESTWARD JOURNEY NICKEL series a few years ago.

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

They wouldn't profit from doing so is my guess. ;)

4. rickyb

rickyb With a name like Ricky...

because you can get them from the bank for face value

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I thought that the US Mint didn't sell coins, period.
    I thought bags went to either the Federal Reserves OR third parties like Wells Fargo for wrapping/rolling.

6. rickyb

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not true, they sell coins every day - by the roll and the bag.

Partially true, the mint sells the coin to the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve then has private companies roll the coins and distributes them to the member banks.

You need to remember folks, until 1999 with the introduction of the State Quarters, the mint did not sell coins by the roll or bag to individuals - at least not outside the Mint Gift Shops. Starting with the SQ's they sold them, then the Sackys, then the Kennedy halves, then the nickels and now the Pres. dollars. But that's it. In other words, except for the Kennedy halves they only sell special program coins.

8. swick

swick New Member

You need to remember folks, until 1999 with the introduction of the State Quarters, the mint did not sell coins by the roll or bag to individuals - at least not outside the Mint Gift Shops. Starting with the SQ's they sold them, then the Sackys, then the Kennedy halves, then the nickels and now the Pres. dollars. But that's it. In other words, except for the Kennedy halves they only sell special program coins.[/QUOTE]

Doug,

That is only partially true also. The US Mint did not sell rolls of the State Quarters until the New Hampshire Quarter. The first 8 states were not sold by the US Mint. I guess they then saw that there was a buck to be made in selling the rolls in "mint wrappers", then they started selling State Quarter Rolls.

swick

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Never really said they did, poor wording on my part - but I do appreciate the clarification ;)

10. rickyb

well they dont circulate kennedys anymore like sac's

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not rolls, but they did sell $25 bags.

Draft saved Draft deleted