US Mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JDW89, Mar 20, 2015.

1. JDW89

JDW89 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The dollar enrollment is a bit expensive (based on my experience from the past). The uncirculated quarters program is redundant because the quarters reside in the larger Mint Sets.........I have an enrollment for the uncirculated sets (Mint sets) but that's because I'm lazy and don't want to hang out on the computer on the first day of issue........That's not to say you shouldn't subscribe to the first two enrollments....it's whatever you enjoy collecting that counts. Remember too, that if you wait for all of these products to be issued (they rarely sell out), and then purchase them all in the same order, you'll save money on shipping.

Welcome to the forum. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. JDW89

JDW89 New Member

Ok thanks and as far as viewing them?

5. green18

Not quite sure what you mean.......

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you mean the Mint sets, when you receive them the folder can be flipped up to see the reverse side of the coins without removing them from the packages.

JDW89 likes this.
  7. JDW89

JDW89 New Member

I think that the Uncirculated Coin set also has the Presidential dollars unless I am mistaken

8. green18

You are not mistaken. :)

9. Pere

Pere Active Member

The difference in the dollar set--the 'point,' I guess--is that you get a dollar-denominated silver Eagle packaged with the brass dollars.

The important thing for a starting collector to consider is what appeals to you, and why. If a Mint offering fits into that, go for it. Don't buy stuff just because they're selling it, or because other people do.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with Pere and green18. Collect what you like.

I buy one Silver Proof set every year from the mint. You usually pay some premium for the specialty sets. The ATB quarters, the Presidential Dollars and the Sacagawea dollar are all included in the proof or mint sets, so buying them in those particular sets is a little redundant. The ASE needs to be purchased separately.

However, if you only want the ATB quarters, than by all means buy the set. If you only want the dollars, than buy the set. There's nothing wrong with doing either.

JDW89 likes this.
  11. JDW89

JDW89 New Member

Thanks for your post! I think I may go with the Presidential dollars set and also the March of Dimes set as well, anyone know how well they package items?

12. JDW89

JDW89 New Member

13. green18

I just got my Roosevelt dollars (proof and uncirculated) the other day. Very satisfied with their condition.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the silver coins are an investment.......collect them because you like them. Many, many times you will find the commemorative coins going for less money in the aftermarket. But, in keeping with your thoughts on silver, the coins will always be worth something........:)

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Each set has their own packaging. The less expensive the set, the less extravagant the packaging.

I just completed my U.S. Marshal's proof set. I ordered all three proofs individually. I paid a little more than had I bought the 3 coin set, but if I wanted to sell only one of them, it would be easier.

I'll also be picking up the Roosie dime set. I want the reverse proof.

I'm torn between getting graded coins on the secondary market and buying in the OGP. I do both depending on the coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted