US Mint workers on the coin forums.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Nov 30, 2019.

1. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Is it really possible to spy on a public forum? That's like saying, "I woke up this morning and spied the newspaper." or "I spied the baseball game". ;)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Really a pity. All you need is one rotten piece of garbage to spoil the whole batch. Sad that he was ratted out. Some people are just jerks.

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think I remember something like that when I was scanning the relevant thread(s) a few years ago.

Someone there posted that prior to the aborted (?) 1st trial that Mint attorneys contacted friends of someone at CU asking for what the testimony would be and/or looking for dirt.

Shows you that just like the Import/Export Letter on the Farouk Coin and the March 7th, 1933 Mint directive on Coin Exchanges (that their so-called expert called an "orphan document" because he got burned on its existence and didn't know didley)....they feared more surprises.

Without that moronic, dimwitted judge, they never would have won if there was a fair trial. :mad:

5. GoldFinger1969

I hope he fought it or sued. Unless it was specifically prohibited in his contract -- and back then Twitter/Facebook/etc. were not as prominent -- that seems extreme unless he is divulging critical information.

If he's just explaining stuff or giving additional color or information on policies, decisions, availabilities, etc....what's the harm ?

If he spoke the same stuff he posted but at a cocktail party or dinner....would he get fired for that ? Of course not.

He's not working on the Manhattan Project. :D

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Problem is that employee, being an assistant director, was probably in the executive service and not civil service. Assistant directors and higher serve at the pleasure of the Secretary of the Treasury. So all the director had to do was get permission from the Secretary, and the assistant director would be gone.

I remember years ago when I worked for the federal government civil service, some of the highest ranking civil service employees in my department were given the chance to enter the executive service with a substantial raise. Some took the offer. Many were fired within a couple of years.

Cal

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can choose whatever word you want. But it is a simple fact that we have people here who are CT members from the entire alphabet soup of govt. entities. You name the govt. agency and we have members here who work for that agency. Sometimes numerous members who work for that agency.

Do you really think they're all coin collectors ?

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

incorgnito-34172019.png

Santinidollar, USS656 and jamor1960 like this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

I'm sure that just like at CU we had sleazebags from the Mint and U.S. Attorneys office scanning these forums during the 1933 Saints trial.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My point was that we've had people watching this forum, and all others, for as long as they have existed. And of course they still do.

mynamespat and GoldFinger1969 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted