US mint Wildlife Eagle

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MSDiBiase, Jul 28, 2004.

1. MSDiBiase

MSDiBiase Junior Member

can anyone give me any information about a variance in the frosting of the wildlife series Bald Eagle coin? I have 3 of them and one has a markedly different amount of frosting. It is less matt and almost looks unfrosted. The others have the "deep cameo" appearence.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The dies for these were prepared with an experimental process by the Mint - they used a laser to replace the sandblasting technique used to create the frosted devices. But based on your description - it sounds like the one was struck with a worn die. The cameo effect produced by the dies does not last very long before it wears out.

4. MSDiBiase

MSDiBiase Junior Member

Someone had told me that the mint made some sort of anouncement regarding a variance in the dies due to the laser frosting technique. Some thing about it being experimental and there are two different type of frosting out there. It seems from what I heard it was not intentional nor was it due to wear, just a different grade of frosting on the proof dies. Well that is what I was told, but I havent read/heard/seen anything about it. He specifically said it was the bald eagle only. I do have 3 full sets, and a fourth elk. none of them (save the one eagle) have a worn or otherwise altered frosting. They are all consistant.

Draft saved Draft deleted