US Mint website... could be better.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jensenbay, May 25, 2012.

1. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Compared to the RCM (Canada) website the US Mint website is kind of lame. I know they changed the homepage a while ago. I find the RCM website is great. I often just look at it. Great pictures and easy to navigate. I find the US Mint site boring. I know there is less to "look at" than the RCM but a better site may get me more interested in purchasing US coin instead of Canadian coin. What to you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

For my part, I find the Canadian and Perth Mint sites more lively and interactive. They do a really good job and I walk away with more information. The US Mint site is navigable and usable but feels kind of awkward. They all 'work well' but RCM and Perth have more flair doing it :)
    My 2 cents.
    -L

4. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Bump (I'll only do it once)

5. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Although I have not looked at other country's mint sites, the USA is ... so so.
    I have had trouble placing an order, where as I go from one page to the "next" it will not finish loading the next page and loose my info if I try to go "back"
    There is not nearly enough information about older mint records like what the codes on the shipping boxes mean, mintage numbers and such.
    even mintage numbers for recent issues are not updated very well.
    My guess is that the web designer who did the work got paid VERY well for it too. :sigh: But I think we may be... :dead-horse:

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

the "my account" tab often is very slow and account info is not present. It is hard to take them seriously except for the fact that they are the only game in town. Not just the look of the site but the functionality are sooooooooooooooooooo far below substandard - probably worse than the most 3rd world mint websites.

7. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Not to worry; the Mint's new and improved website will be in place by the end of 2011

Err.......I mean 2012

Err........I mean 2013

Err........I mean...........when pigs fly

I think they have a few more years left of increasing the premiums on their products so as to have raised enough funds for the upgrade.

8. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I think they're site is adequate and fairly easy to navigate/use. I use the internet mainly for information, I can care less if a website is pretty. ;)

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

One thing I like about the mint site is that they store all of my invoices back to when I first signed up with them. I've had no 'speed' issues involved with the site, except on days when a much awaited issue is being released. I feel the site is adequate to my needs.

10. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

I dislike the search feature on both sites. In particular the RCM, no matter what combination of word(s) I use, there are very few direct hits. Always a gadzillion wrong responses.

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

The my orders section under the my accounts tab is often not working. That is info that I sometimes need, and it is only there about half the time! it goes way beyond being pretty- it just does not work.

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

that is the function I am talking bout- it is only there about half of the time. I went on to cancel something and guess what- it was not there!

13. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I started using the Mint in 1999 when the silver proof sets went on sale. It was much better then, not so much the order placing but w/customer service. PBGS has blown it more than once with me. The Memphis distribution center was fantastic, they knew their stuff and they shipped quick.

14. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I have never had this issue. It has always been available when I've logged in to check.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's very strange. I've never had a problem with that function and my orders go back to 2000.

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

try later in the evening

Draft saved Draft deleted