us mint strikes again

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by daniel a DiBiasio, Nov 21, 2020.

1. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

this is my first post.i just want to vent about the u.s. mint.i bought the mayflower 400th anniversary medal thinking the mintage would be only 20,000.I looked on the website yesterday and it now says sold out but try back because they will be getting more in.the only reason i bought it was due to the low mintage.I feel like this is false advertising.has anyone else bought this and noticed the mintage changed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Customer service is just a catch phrase at the U.S. Mint.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

They'll probably be getting more in from canceled orders. They aren't gonna make any more.

John Burgess and Inspector43 like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I was able to order a two piece gold Proof set. That one was sold out too, but I guess the conceled orders account for the addition sets. I hope that I get a fresh set and not one that somebody else rejected because it's scratched or spotted.

I don't expect to get PR-70 DCam coins, but I would expect to get a couple of PR-69s.

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Yeah. I've called them 5 times, actually got somebody one time. Waited on hold for 20 minutes and got disconnected without question being answered. I think there's one person taking the calls honestly. And the chances of them actually knowing the answer to a question that was worth calling and waiting on hold for a half an hour is not likely.

7. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

They're not minting more. The "new" medals are due to canceled and botched orders and returns of the original mintage. I've been told, but have not verified, that every day after the initial sale, these go on sale at 7 AM ET and don't last long for high demand coins and medals.

Cal

8. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

These were never sold out, just restocked and back up for sale in the early morning hours. It has always been at 7:30 am EST. Just recently and for the first time, they changed it to 8:30, then 8:45 then most recently back to 7:38, where it’s remained for the past few days.

calcol likes this.
  9. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

thanks for all the info!

10. calcol

Thanks for the info. How did you find out the times? Does the Mint post it or is it just trial and error?

Cal

11. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Trial and error on the times at this later stage. It’s not posted.

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

one item on the website says:
    400th Anniversary of the Mayflower Voyage Silver Proof Coin and Medal Set
    Item Number: 20XB

Mintage Limit: 14,200
    Product Limit: 9,200
    Household Order Limit: None

They will continue to list it as "unavailable" until it is completely sold out any canceled or non-paid orders will be released to be resold again. this one shows they made 14,200 of them and prepared 9,200 for sale, the 5,000 remaining I assume went to Britain to sell there in their packaging.

As far as the:

Mayflower 400th Anniversary Silver Reverse Proof Medal
    Item Number: 20XD
    Mintage Limit: 20,000
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

This one is listed as "currently on backorder" what this means is they haven't finished them for shipment yet but the mintage limit is set at 20,000 which they likely won't change. HOWEVER, when you get it or are able to place an order for it, It's unknown. the description for "backorder" reads "Additional inventory is being made. Please add the item to your cart to see when additional inventory is expected to be available"

Meaning they made the coins, 20,000 of them, they made some of them in packaging but didn't complete it, so until the remaining are put into packaging for sale, it's going to sit on backorder, the ones that they can't fill up until the cutoff will be filled first once they are ready for sale, then they will open it back up for sales until it sells out.

"After establishing mintage, product, and order limits, the U.S. Mint does not always regard them as final, and will at times make adjustments."
    However, these adjustments might be a few hundred coins one way or the other normally, lets say the overmint, or they have returns or damaged, the counts will change in time from their general mintage number to an actual mintage number. there have been times it's been lower or higher by some, but in general they are good at sticking to mintage limits.

What the notice is about is them not having them prepared to immediately sell and not having them in packaging to fill the orders they already have so they suspended sales with the backorder message which they tag every item with, and is a generic explanation. it's more commonly used on SAEs GAEs proofs, mint and proof sets where they sell what they have packaged and ready to go but will take a while to prepare more to ship out because they ran out of "ready stock".

13. calcol

The set is still available from the Royal Mint, royalmint.com. It’s a bit more expensive at £195 than what the US Mint was charging. Packaging appears to be the same for both mints. [edit: Packaging very similar, not identical.] Right now, shipping, which is normally £12.5, is free for orders at or over £200. You can add-on a cupronickel version of the coin for only £10 to bring the total to £205 and get free shipping.

Pointers if you have never dealt with the Royal Mint:
    1. Their customer service is much better than the US Mint.
    2. Check whether your credit card will handle international charges or charges exchange fees.
    3. Their standard international delivery charge is £12.5 for the whole order. And that’s for DHL air express service to the US. If you’re in the US and order from the Royal Mint and US Mint on the same day, you’ll probably receive the Royal Mint order first.
    4. Be careful about mintages. If they state a mintage for a set, be aware that number does not include mintages for some of the coins that may be in other sets or sold singly. Check all sets and single offers to get the total mintage for a particular coin.
    5. Their packaging for more expensive coins is incredibly nice … varnished wood boxes and more.

Cal

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted