US Mint site just blocked me!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Vess1, Nov 5, 2020.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It’s just luck and trying over and over. There’s no secret other than having a lot of people trying for you. Many people sat at the computer trying for an hour to get the silver.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I tried for over an hour and a half. When I finally got the chance to put it in my bag it was sold out.

4. Thomas Olnowich

Thomas Olnowich New Member

Just curious as to what causes the lock out?

I actually had a gold in my cart but got locked out at the check out page.

Was it because I had several tabs open? Because I hit the F5 refresh when nothing was happening? Or constantly hitting the Opps refresh?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for the next time.

Thx

5. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

i was able to get one but such a headache

Virginian likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

In for a penny, in for a pound.........I might do the medal. I don't think I'll have to put up with the hijinks I endured earlier today.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Some PTSD fodder for you all to enjoy

9E91ACF1-99A5-4CC6-A004-E306C6666769.jpeg A823BA82-3D37-4196-8F96-9B5457C5DD32.jpeg
    6A6E38BB-5CCE-4DAE-905D-B53FF699D955.jpeg 2458AA4A-E510-4CC7-951D-01E6631161B4.jpeg

Vess1, -jeffB, COOPER12 and 10 others like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Very true, but you don't to the trouble and expense of building a site capable of very high volume when you know that equipment and capability is going to go unused 99+% of the time.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Completely agree, been saying it for a long time now. It's frustrating especially since the only do 1 to two winners a year usually, but it would be a huge waste to build it out when they probably get like 1/5th of their volume in 30 minutes each year

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Just got this email,
    upload_2020-11-6_9-20-51.png

but, nope, not available .... again
    upload_2020-11-6_9-21-6.png

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the reminder is a day late and a dollar short always.

The Mint updates quantities and opens up sales daily at 7 AM EST as an automatic function, to sell remaining available stock.

The notice is generated and sent out some time after that happens.
    By the time you get the notice, they are already gone for the day, I've never got a notice that was less than a half hour after it's been opened up for sales. Better luck tomorrow.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm curious as to the age of the computer/network equipment at the mint. Given the large numbers of products they sell and the costs of their products, there should be enough left in the coffers to update their system; or at least plan to.

TypeCoin971793 and Penny Luster like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

They are the only government department that pulls in a profit every year.

14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

We've had these after the fact in the past.
    I think the idea was they were from cancelled orders etc, and later ones were from returned orders.

I've also had the notifications the day of release.

15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I had repeated fails, but after literally several dozen tries I would get a little further every once-in-a-while. FINALLY went through. Same thing happened to my son. My grandson was blocked, as many of you were.

Steve

16. TJB390

TJB390 New Member

What a disaster the US Mint website is a joke. I got to step three to verify and confirm my purchase and then NOTHING. I clicked the refresh button as their site timed out with the stupid display of the page can not be reached (or search the WAY BACK Machine). CloudFlare blocked me for hitting the refresh button and when I did get a response it was to prove that I am a human. By the time I was able to get into my account again, I had one item in my cart with a button to complete my purchase but in the cart was the message so many have received We sorry, but ….

They did however ship me my subscription for the Tallgrass Quarter 3-Coin set, which will now be my last subscription as I have made these all inactive.

Among all this mess I did get a survey about the mint’s website. For which I responded that they need to hire some Junior High school students to build a real website with enough infrastructure to serve the customers.

I get a kick-out-of all the EBay listings. Especially the one with 24 sold or another that has only 6 left.

Give me a break.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I got an notification e-mail this morning (9am) that the product was back in stock but when I went to the site (a half hour after receiving it) the coin was sold out. Anyone who didn't get one of these should try and monitor the mint web site as some of the orders place yesterday will be rejected by the mint for one reason or another....

Stevearino likes this.
  18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Me too!

19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Like everybody else, I got the email saying the V75 Privy ASE was available. Within seconds I was trying to log on to the Mint's site, but was blocked. I guess I'll just have to live without owning one of these. :(

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I was blocked when I pressed the final button at checkout...I think they put the public on hold until the big spenders are in!

21. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

That used to be the case, but Cloud technologies (which can be approved for all sorts of government use) allow for rapid scaling up/down as need arises. The economy of sharing all the cloud provider's cycles and bandwidth (instead of having a finite number of boxes down in the cold room in the basement) makes that a great choice. (PS. I don't work for a Cloud company!)

wxcoin and OzGirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted