US Mint releasing impaired proof coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by YoloBagels, Mar 6, 2020.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Earlier this month I received a free 2019 proof set compliments of the ANA at the Nat money show in Atlanta. While I do enjoy having it I could not help but notice that many of the proofs have problems/are impaired.

The cent has a rust spot on Abe's head as well as severe milk clouds on the obverse. The half has a milk spot under JFK's chin, and both the dime, nickel, and some of the quarters have some kind of milky clouding.

Then again I received these for free and therefore I can't really complain; but you'd at least think the mint would release a proof coin that doesn't look like I ate breakfast on it, right? If you have had a similar situation, please share. I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem on proof sets.

Thanks,

Chris

adsdadaddsa.jpg
    asdsadadadsdas.jpg
    asdaasddfda.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I really do fear for the lives of all zinc cents, no matter how well they end up being stored.

ZoidMeister and YoloBagels like this.
  4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

...and how many years now has this been happening?................don't answer that!

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have a 1982 proof set where the Lincoln cent is literally corroded on the edges. Unless they sealed up the slab with acid inside, I don't know how that happened, but it did.

YoloBagels likes this.
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

38 years. I told you not to answer that. :hilarious:

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

So, that is where all the returns go. Freebies at ANA events. That's not really helping promote the Mint.

8. YoloBagels

Look at the zinc pfennigs the third Reich produced in the 1930's/40's. I am yet to see one in MS and the vast majority are corroded.

9. YoloBagels

Facts

gronnh20 likes this.
  10. YoloBagels

Just looked at the set my brother recieved, it was much nicer except that the cent was just as foggy and the nickel had a nasty scratch beside Jefferson's face.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My understanding of impaired proof only meant that the coin appeared in circulation. Your coins don't appear to be circulated........

ldhair likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's not a fair statement. Out of the millions of proofs that the US mint sends out, they do a great job.
    The coins posted are not the normal and the problems may not have shown when they were sent out.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Or promoting the ANA either! :D

gronnh20 likes this.
  14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I won't look a gift coin in the mouth, but if it's this bad then I won't think twice about spending it for a piece of bazooka bubble gum or something.

YoloBagels likes this.
  16. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Coins are a manufactured product. Like any other product, one in a million will inevitably escape detection before being sold. So no, I do not fault the mint nor their outstanding quality as a whole. As for the term impaired, that's a vague definition which to me leans towards that of Green18's reply.

YoloBagels likes this.
  17. Hello. I just received my very first purchase of about $650 I spent at the US mint. WOW....nicer than I expected EXCEPT....not complaining...just adding AND adding a sime question to this as when I asked, this popped up.....The UN irculated silver standing liberty has 2 (what I can only describe as RUST spots/holes. VERY small but still there. Is this normal or should I return that onr coin for a replacement. Besides those 2 "dots" the coin looks pretty perfect. Thank you and if this is not the correct place to commebt with a question then I apologize. Thank you.

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This is why I almost always go to my local dealer and pay him a minor premium to get the annual Proof set for my collection. The mint does put less than perfect coins in Proof sets. At the same time, a reasonable collector should not expect every coin to grade PR-70, Deep Cameo.

Some of them might have a small mark, like the toning spot on the cent. My local dealer lets me mix and match the cases to get the best coins I can find. This year I bought my set from the mint because of the pandemic, and won the lottery. I got a good set.

If you want a scenario, my guess is the ANA bought these coins cheap from some dealer or group of dealers. The organization got what they paid for. The dealer(s) sold them the clunkers that’s they could not get the full book price for elsewhere.

19. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

HE WHO KNOWS LITTLE, it is your right as a consumer to return it for replacement or refund if you are unhappy with what they sent you.

totally up to you. the next one you get might have a different issue or a similar nature. you never know, they do not guarantee perfection. it can have flaws.

if you aren't happy with it, return it.

20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It costs money to return stuff to the mint. When I was a dealer, I came to the conclusion that it was throwing money after bad.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hate to say this but even getting coins after market does not solve all the problems. All of my Lincoln cents from 2010 to last year all are toning in my Dansco's. I fear I will never have all "red" cents in a few more years. Some things you cannot get around. And I do have them all stored properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted