US Mint quality control

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sting 60, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

I received this today in the mail. I marked the scratch just under the E in states. I was just dumbfounded; how can the mint send out this coin. Quality control is subpar. I know what they will say. Return for a refund.

scratch.jpg

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ouch.... Yeah, that one got by QC.... It's funny but I have noticed in the past when I order rolls that the Philadelphia minted coins look like they were thrown in the parking lot before they were rolled up and Denver minted coins look great... Never received any West Point orders from the mint though.

Sting 60 and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Where is it written that you will receive flawless coins?

erscolo, Vess1, UncleScroge and 6 others like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Like many things made today, pride of workmanship just isn't there anymore.

6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I had a similar issue on my American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (W).
    I was 100% sure there was a scratch on one of the 3 coins that arrived, as it looked extremely like a small staple scratch, and it did not move when I lightly shook and hit the coin against my palm, and I inspected it quite closely.

I was sort of bummed about it and set the coin aside. A few days went by, and I checked again, this time with a bright light, and sure enough, what I thought was a very fine scratch, cast a shadow on the surface of the coin. At that point, I realized it was just a very tiny fiber of some sort, probably related to the packaging process. I then decided to pop open the plastic coin holders, rotated one side, and sure enough, the "scratch" moved to a new location on the coin! It was a tiny fiber stuck to the coin-tite.

Take a bright light, and see if you get a shadow below the suspected scratch. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised like I did!

UncleScroge, CygnusCC and Sting 60 like this.
  7. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

This is nothing new. I have returned damaged purchases from the mint since the 80s.

Vess1 likes this.
  8. Sting 60

Yes, I thought that at first so I opened the capsule and it is on the surface. I isn't a continuous scratch, it is like a bunch of tiny scratches in a row.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Since buyers like you are complaining that they are not putting out enough sets or not sending them fast enough then they are forced to rush the sets. It's normal to have 1 or 2 small issues. o_O

They will never be 100% perfect :bucktooth:

BTW.. It could be a Strike Through Mint Error ;)

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

If this is one of those limited sold out issues you will not get a replacement, only a refund.

11. Sting 60

I know nothing is guaranteed, and I understand that it happens. I will keep it because the coin is sold out at the mint, but I just thought I'd vent a bit. I already was thinking about calling it quits with the US Mint and this pretty much made the case for me. I have other coin interests to pursue. Regards.

Vess1, Inspector43 and Jaelus like this.
  12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Yeah, that sucks..... all they promise in the listing is you'll get a 1oz uncirculated coin. that's what you got. If you are unhappy with it, returning it is your only recourse, but they aren't likely to have any more of them before the end of the year. probably slight contact with a reeded edge of another coin.

you could always inspect it thoroughly, on the off chance it's a darn near imperceptible "struck through thread" or something and not a scratch.

Inspector43 and Sting 60 like this.
  13. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

When you go buy a new car where is it written that the tires won’t be slashed and the windows cracked?

It doesn’t have to be specifically written.

It’s implied when buying something new that it’s in brand new condition.

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

However, the real test is if it meets design criteria of the US Mint. What do the designers of US coins consider fit for use?

15. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Don’t feel too bad. I know it sucks but at least their is some comfort in that it’s not a super expensive coin.

I had that same issue with my V75 Proof Silver Eagle and it broke my heart because the V75 has a pretty decent price tag :(.

The US Mint needs to hire more quality control personnel.

Australia does it right. They should learn from the Perth Mint.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's not. However the mint does differentiate between circulation quality and proof in their listings.

Somewhere there is a page extolling all the special handling they give proofs.

If that's their definition of special handling, thank ghu - I can't imagine regular handling.

rugrats2001 likes this.
  17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Special handling doesn't mean flawless.

18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Flawless and no blatantly obvious scratches or gouges are definitely two different levels of QC. From my perspective the mint failed QC on this one.

Vess1 and UncleScroge like this.
  19. John Burgess

I didn't check my 2020 V75 or my 2019S ERP, still sitting in their boxes, like Schrodingers cat. the world may never know what the box contains....

LakeEffect and Inspector43 like this.
  20. John Burgess

I bought a brand new car, 4 miles on it. Turns out you have to go over it with a fine toothed comb because if you don't you will notice flaws along the way that didn't catch your eye at the dealership. bad areas of paint, a nick here or there, window handles don't line up right when the windows are closed. All kinds of little things, things you notice 1 or two weeks of driving it, that you didn't notice at the dealership or test driving the test drive model of that vehicle.

Same goes here. I bought a new car still. they didn't guarantee me it was perfect or flawless, they guaranteed me it had 4 delivery miles on it and I was the first driver/owner. if I wanted to be picky, I should have done that before I finished the purchase. And with the mint, if you want to be picky and want a perfect coin that's flawless, be prepared to return items you don't like, and go without, or accept that sometimes it's going to be a 69 or a 68, and not a 70.

I wonder.... would people return an error coin as being flawed as quickly as they'd return an un-perfect 69?..... hmmmmmm.

john65999, Inspector43 and Jaelus like this.
  21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I love it. A coin that is both PR-70 and PR-60 at the same time.

green18 and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted