US Mint proof coins are what grade...usually

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dave92029, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Member

I'm a new B. I understand that two most respected grading companies are PCGS & NGC.

Proof coins purchased from the US Mint often come in a sealed plastic case, and I realize that not all "proofs" are identical, BUT what is the usual grade of "proof" coins purchased from the US Mint?

Under what circumstances would someone go to the time and money to have a US Mint "proof" coin that is sealed in a plastic case graded by either PCGS or NGC?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Only time they're worth getting graded is when they are submitted en masse to PCGS/NGC in an attempt to get that 70.

4. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

You can usually count on mint set proof coins being 68-69 (usually 69). Only the 70's are worth getting graded.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Most of the "newer" modern proof sets, i.e., SQ, Prez & ATB era, will probably grade either 69 or 70. Getting the UCAM or DCAM designation is the challenge. Collectors of Registry Sets will seek out these coins through personal submissions to get the best for their Registry Set. Dealers will often submit proof sets in bulk to try to get as many 70UCAM or 70DCAM to resell. Buying these graded coins from a dealer is usually a losing propositon for the collector because the prices paid for "perfection" do not usually stand the test of time.

For me personally, there are only a few instances where I would submit a proof set for grading: 1) If one of the coins was a specific variety such as the 1964 Accented Hair Kennedy; 2) if one of the coins was a Mint Error such as my 2005-S KS SQ, or 3) if one of the coins was a "condition rarity".

Chris

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Welcome to CT . To me sending any new mint product in for grading is a waste the difference between a MS-69 and MS-70 is so small to me it isn;t worth it . Then again I don't have any of my coins in a registry set .
    rzage

7. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

This may or may not hold true in all instances, but from 1991 forward, the San Fransisco Mint really began to excel at proof coining. There maybe some subtle differences between the different same year sets, but for the most part, proof coins of our present era are extremely well made.

The "Sliver Proof" sets will yield the best grades and values, especially the silver "Statehood Quarter" series.

Happy Collecting

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

At the point of realizing they're an idiot and wasting money. Having a proof graded is comparable to waxing a dirty car! :DThe only ones who do it are mainly companies like Coinvault/CSN or similar companies looking for a 70!!

Draft saved Draft deleted