US Mint Presidential Silver Medal Series

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chris Winkler, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I got an email from the mint regarding this series of 1oz silver coins for the Presidents and when i went to look, there are no mintage or product limits, so i take it as unlimited. My question is are these worth collecting, knowing they are not scarce or limited?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I doubt they will retain their value or increase in value, just like most offerings from the mint. They will be overpriced and will sell for much less on the secondary market. Especially if there is an unlimited mintage.

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

The Presidential Silver Medal Series offered by the U.S. Mint was first introduced in August of 2018. Originally they were priced at $39.95; however, in October 2020, the price was raised to $65.00. Moreover, you can still buy the G. Washington and J. Adams medals from the U.S. Mint even though they were introduced over 2 years ago. Long story short, do what @furryfrog02 said and wait for examples to appear on the secondary market.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...ntial-silver-medal-sales-to-begin-in-february

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Deceased presidents only?

Not like it matters. Would take a while to get to number 40 anyway.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

COVID delayed the series by about a year. It’ll be 2028 or 2029 before we even to Reagan.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I have a few years to wait :D

8. Chris Winkler

Just bought 3 for the price of 2 @ the Mint, thanks for the advice, i cancelled my auto purchase. Just can't see paying 3x cost of silver on these when there is no scarcety....

Bradley Trotter and Evan Saltis like this.
  9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Actually, the first 7 presidents are still available directly from the mint. Van Buren goes on sale next week. $65 each. o_O

I bet a complete set would look stunning in an album.

Still, they'd only be worth melt in all likelihood. Pity.

I wonder how well they will sell at the new price.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would rather collect the 19th century 3 inch medals. Yes, they are much more expensive, but they are much more attractive and have the potential of holding their value.

The $65 price is ridiculous. If the Franklin Mint were doing them, it might even be less although they would have hooked you into buying the whole series.

LakeEffect and Chris Winkler like this.
  11. Chris Winkler

I have also found smaller silver medals for decent prices from that timeframe, about 1 inch or so...

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They were expensive at $39.95, and are ridiculously priced @ $65, especially when you can get NGC MS70 on eBay for $70. I only have the Washington.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it is still in the OGP.

LakeEffect likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is an example of the 19th century presidential medals. They were in high relief and had a rich mahogany finish which was not offered in the 20th century. The mint continued to offer medals with these designs well into the 20th century, but they had the “yellow bronze” sand blast finish.

Chester A. Arthur O.jpg Chester A. Arthur R.jpg

Chester A. Arthur pieces from the 19th century are hard to find. He became president after James Garfield died from his assassination wounds. He was not an overly popular figure at the time because he was generally viewed as a political hack who was available for a price. He made more money than the president when when was the tariff collector for the Port of New York.

Once he became president Arthur turned over a new leaf. He supported civil service reform, which was badly needed at the time. He made a half hearted attempt at running for a term of his own in 1884, but he was suffering Bright's disease. He died not long after leaving office.

Beefer518 and Chris Winkler like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted