US Mint Notification with 1959 Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DEA, Jan 2, 2021.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Those aren't milk spots Phil, they merely kinda look like them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

The 2001 Silver Buffalo Dollar was successful (both unc and proof) but those were popular. The 2001 Silver Proof Set at one point was the second most valuable after the 1999 but again that was a fairly popular item. The other commemorative (Capitol Visitor Center) wasn't too popular but I don't recall prices ever going up for any of the versions.

The only thing that comes to mind is one of the Platinum Eagles for that year. Is that the coin you referenced?

4. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I remember those from the first proof sets I ordered from the Mint back in the early sixties.

5. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I know it may appear a defect on the coin, but actually it is just a crease in the polyethylene-coated cellophane in which the coin is cased. I'm pretty sure.

6. GDJMSP

I predicted hardly anybody would buy them, particularly the gold. So I bought a boatload of 'em. And once the mintage was announced prices shot up like a rocket. Sold 'em all ;)

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

That must have been one of those with a fairly short period of price gain (excluding any gain based on gold spot going up) as commemoratives in future years saw even lower mintages. Congrats on picking correctly and knowing the right time to sell!

8. GDJMSP

At the time I think it was the 2nd lowest commem ever. And back then, gold was around $300 an ounce so the coins were cheap in that regard. Issue price was around $180 if memory serves. You also have to remember that 70s were selling for $700-$800 back then because that was before they changed the grading standards and 70s became beyond common. So the price increase lasted for several years. Even a MS69 sold for over $400 back then.

ddddd likes this.
  9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

To a lesser degree but similar to:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/franklins-in-mint-sets-with-white-corrosion.351358/

No helping your coin unfortunately.

DEA likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Possibly, but back then the Mint didn't accept order cancellation. Defective could be returned for replacement, but only as long as the replacement supply lasted. Only way to get your money back was if you ordered and they sold out and couldn't supply the product.

steve westermeier likes this.
  11. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

View attachment 1232229

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  12. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

Times have sure changed. I have one listed on Ebay. When I read it, I got a good laugh also!

DEA likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK we now have the card in 1957, anyone have 1955 flat pack or 56 with the card?

Draft saved Draft deleted