US Mint Mailer

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Nov 19, 2018.

1. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

Over the weekend I received a mailer from the US Mint. It was offering one ounce Presidential Medals, Washington and Adams first and also an anniversary Morgan dollar without the "one dollar." Is the Mint just trying to make money or do theses issues actually have some numismatic value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you show us what was sent to you.
    I don't think that that it could be the actual US Mint. I have never heard of an anniversary Morgan without a date o_O

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That sounds like an Oxymoron :wacky:

Spark1951, Amos 811, Morpheus and 2 others like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking it was a Liberty dollar medal. They are collectable and have a value. It's a gamble if it's value will ever go up.

6. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have been collecting coins and stamps since 1948. I have almost everything from the 20th century and a good bunch from the 19th. The question "...is the mint just trying to make money?" Yes. I quit stamp collecting in 2002 and no longer buy new issues from the US Mint. USPS is printing nothing but 'wallpaper' and, the US mint is producing 'ballast'. Hundreds of new stamps and coins is difficult for anyone to keep up with. It is no fun anymore. Just very expensive.

Joea59 and Neal like this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This doesn't sound like the actual US Mint, rather some other "Mint" that is trying to sound like the US Mint. If that is the case, then this stuff is likely worthless.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

In this era, one must usually resign oneself to not collecting everything, and instead concentrate on what one likes. I have decided to collect ONLY the U.S. Mint issues I like, starting with among the modern commemorative, I ONLY collect the Uncirculated versions, and never the proofs. The decision on what to leave mirrored usually confounds all sense anyway,

green18 and Morpheus like this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

Not an oxymoron; that would be an incompatible description. A mint being interested in making money is an ironically stated redundancy.

Spark1951 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I quit collecting stamps when it took an entire sheet to make a plate block.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Self-adhesives were my "bridge too far". My favorite stamp joke came from Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live some decades ago.

The story was that the Postal Service was issuing a commemorative stamp honoring prostitution. It's a 20-cent stamp that would not have any adhesive. If you want to lick it, it costs a quarter.

Now THAT'S funny!

13. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Yes that is funny!

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It could be the USMintMart (not associated with the USMint.gov) had some kind of "collection" which included a 1/2 oz "look-a-like" Morgan silver round.

Some 3rd party companies like to come out with ads somewhat duplicating US Mint announcements to get people to scam, I mean believe they are getting something they are not, or to advertise their similar offerings before something official is available.

You'll have to post a copy of the mailer that you had received.

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

I did recently get a holiday season mailing from the real mint, but not THAT recently, and I don't remember seeing a tribute Morgan.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The US Mint doesn't know where I live, thankfully.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Geographically or attitudinally, I'm guessing. :smuggrin:

CoinCorgi likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

In the backyard dog house.
    lol

19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I’m pretty sure the OP is talking about the new silver versions of the Presidential Medals. I bought the Washington and think it is very well done. They are like $40 each.

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  20. CHARLES GINETTO

That's right.

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. CHARLES GINETTO

The medals are under product schedule for 2018 and 2019. The Morgan was from the Mint in an opinion poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted