US Mint Limited Edition Set Problem Encounted in 2013 Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Andrew G., Mar 29, 2015.

?

Are hairlines on Proofs from US the mint an issue?

1. Completely Normal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Poor Quality Control

75.0%
  3. Just Bad Luck (Isolated Incident)

25.0%
  4. Issue with 2013 Limited Edition Mint Sets Only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

In 2013 I started coin collecting as one of my hobbies. One of my first purchases was the 2013 US Mint Limited Edition Proof Set. I purchase the proof set the Philadelphia Mint Gift Shop. Once I brought the set home at close examination the major of coins (5 of 8) have horizontal hair lines. Attached are a few photos. I was wondering...

1. Is this common?
    2. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    3. Thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

I'm writing this because today because recent purchased the 2014 US Mint Limited Edition Proof Set and I'm hoping I don't run into this issue again.

PS. I wrote the mint explaining them the issue (Just Today) to see what they say.

Limited Edition 2013 - Scratch Set.jpg Limited Edition 2013 - Scratch Set 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Welcome to CoinTalk and to the hobby.

I can't answer your question or your poll, because I really don't know.

I do know that in the last year or two, the quality has been getting suspect from the mint. I can't tell if that's just die wear or polish lines on the coin. BUT, if these coins were intended for the special US Mint sets, than that's poor quality control on their part. I just don't know if you have an isolated case or this was common for the 2013 set.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Thanks for your feedback JP.
    I believe this hairlines were introduced during the packaging process because the hairlines are in the same locations on multiple quarters.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Wow, that's really bad. I hate how lax the mint has become on quality. Once upon a time they would hand carve dies, polish them, specially prepare planchets and use a screw press to make a small handful of nice proofs. I would pay extra for them to bring that back.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Thanks for the input Kirk. I'll have to take a look at some international mints proofs.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'd have to see a picture out of the holder. I've seen a lot of "error" or "defective" proofs that turned out to be on the plastic holder instead. In the second picture the heavy double line from the back of Washington's head to the A looks like it could be a line in the plastic and its reflection off the coin.

8. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

I wish it was. Here's a better picture..
    Liberty 2013.jpg

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Your last pic looks like it's on the holder and since it's on the quarters and the ASE, I'd say it's on the holder. Try picking a fixed spot on the coin and rock the holder back and forth slowly to see if the scratches change position slightly. If they do, the scratches are on the holder.

10. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

The Silver Eagle picture is with no holder.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Keep us informed as to how you make out with your inquiry to the mint Andrew. Being that you bought the set from the mint gift shop one wonders if a return policy is in effect and for how long. That set needs to be returned.......

12. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

The Mint responded via what looks like a form letter.

Dear Andrew Gartner,

This letter is in response to your recent correspondence to the United States Mint.

The quality of products, programs and services provided by the United States Mint is of paramount concern to us. We strive to deliver quality service to our customers and to meet or exceed established standards. Your experience falls short of the standards we have established for serving our valued customers and hope that our efforts will reflect the United States Mint’s continued commitment to customer satisfaction. Though we can not explain what exactly lead to the poor quality of your purchase, every effort is made to ensure these issues will not continue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

For general information, you may contact us seven (7) days a week from 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight Eastern Time. Hearing and speech impaired customers with TTY equipment can reach us Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time or by visiting us online at www.catalog.usmint.gov. To contact us by email, please reply to this correspondence or send an email to usmint-support@catalog.usmint.gov.

We appreciate your interest in United States Mint products, programs and services.

United States Mint

Customer Service Center

1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468)

TTY 1-888-321-MINT (6468)

001-1-202-898-6468

Visit us at www.catalog.usmint.gov to check on your order status, update your US Mint profile and to place new orders.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

To West Point Mint Quality Control & Customer Service

Regarding 2013 Limited Edition Mint Set.

In 2014 I purchased the "2013 Limited Edition Mint Set" from the gift shop at the Philadelphia Mint. At first glance the coins looked great! I brought coins home and unfortunately at closer glance the major of the coins contain multiple horizontal line (scratches). The scratch can be found on the Obverse on some coins and Reverse on others. I can gladly submit picture upon request. These lines happened either during the packaging of the coins or during the manufacturing processing. Can you please provide explanation and reassurance this will not happen to most recent 2014 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set Purchase?

Regards,

Andrew M. Gartner

13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I recently came across a bunch of 1964 Kennedy halves. Several of them had die polish lines. At first glance I thought they were hairlines, but closer up I could tell they were raised, which is an indicator of die polishing lines. Also, the lines seemed to stay in the fields. This makes sense, since the higher relief areas were incuse on a die and not polished like the fields were. I suspect the same die polish problem with your coins. I've never seen it yet on proof coins, as my kennedies were business strike, so hopefully someone else can chime in about it happening on proofs. It's actually a little difficult to tell from your pics though. I think you have to first look in person to see if they are raised lines, or incuse on the coin which would indicate hairlines as you suspect.

Andrew G. likes this.
  14. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Joe, The lines are not on the devices. So most likely these are die polish lines.

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Die polish then is probably the culprit,not that it would affect worth since it happened during minting. It's actually interesting to have it on a coin, since it's less common that your typical strike. As for the eagle pictures, it looks more like scratches. Hard to tell though if they are raised or etched in.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

So I just read this thread. This should answer the problem on your other thread. You answered yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted