US Mint Bot Attack, Morgan/Peace Schedule, & Household Limit = 3

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense but okay

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just curious.

4. baseball21

Are you planing to explain yourself? Thats a very random comment as well

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I didn’t experience any issues before and I don’t expect any this time either. Why? I’m not a BOT, I didn’t order and I have no intention of ordering. Problem solved.

dwhiz and charley like this.
  6. chascat

NO explanation needed...Just a random comment.

7. baseball21

Why would you quote me for a random "NO explanation needed..." comment then?

Was there something wrong with discussing what an aftermarket coin actually is?

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I could never get through on the first go around. Do you really think that there will be a chance to beat those companies that hire people to get coins? To me, I think the people that buy coins and then resell them should be charged with something and outlawed to buy anything else. However, as a realist, the Mint isn't going to change anything except give out a terribly long letter that is meaningless.

OldSilverDollar and charley like this.
  9. baseball21

That would mean every dealer in the world "should be charged with something and outlawed to buy anything else" as well as any collector that has ever sold anything ever

I'm probably wasting my time here but the entire point was for people to logically think through what they are saying and hoping for

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  10. chascat

Wow, really bent!

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

People are not able to think outside of the box on dealers. A coin dealer, which I am not, puts food on the table by SELLING COINS. They have customers that want the latest and greatest mint product. Some collectors, maybe MANY, may not want the hassle of being on the mints website to buy it themselves in the 15 minute window you have and are willing to pay a premium to avoid the fray. Many may not even know about all the products yet.
    Why shouldn't dealers be allowed to buy? In a free country it would seem they're just as entitled to buy as collectors. They may feel more entitled to them than collectors. If the problem is there aren't enough to go around, then I guess the mint needs to produce more of said product.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh blast. I'll say it......

Yes I've sold mint issues in the aftermarket. And I made money doing it.

I don't do it often.........haven't done it in a few years, but yes, I have sold some very popular, hard to get initially issues. 2010 ASE anniversary set. Scored 5. Made some bucks which I plowed into the beginnings of my classic commemorative set. Make me a bad guy? I suppose. But I didn't use the proceeds for personal gain. Only to augment my collecting fever......

wxcoin and OldSilverDollar like this.
  13. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Of course people can think outside the box.

You just described the new car purchase model. Factory to dealer to customer.

The person that buys the car feeds their family, also. Many use the vehicle to increase their income by being an Uber etc., driver, to feed their family.

The difference though: the factory does not give the person the opportunity to buy the auto at the same price as the dealer.

Yes the U.S. Mint is public. Maybe, just maybe, if the offer by the U.S. Mint was limited to non-dealers for the first few days, do you think the Dealers would pay the price being asked by the non-dealers, which will of course be more than the original price....because...well... the non-dealer has to feed their family, also?

Just thinking outside the box. Yin and Yang, and my daddy is bigger than your daddy stuff.

wxcoin and OldSilverDollar like this.
  14. Numismatist1

Numismatist1 New Member

15. Numismatist1

Numismatist1 New Member

Same old garbage from the US Mint. I wrote the Mint on 5 August 2014 on the same situation and received a response from Deputy Director Richard A Peterson saying in essence that they were working towards solving this situation. Here we are 6+ years later and we have the same problems. The Mint sucks when it comes to support of the small collector.

wxcoin, Vess1, COOPER12 and 2 others like this.
  16. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, I can kind of see your point. An auto dealer is a private corporation that forces you to go through their middle men dealers. The Mint is a public entity and should in essence serve the public first. They do supposedly support themselves through the sale of products so they are somewhat removed from answering directly to all of the tax base.
    They are pretty much equally beholden to dealers and collectors now which the dealers do pay more to get their product in advance of the sale. Its easier for them to sell in bulk to dealers. I don't put the late night shows ahead of my own wants but I can't blame the mint for wanting to cater to them as well. At some point the mint determines what and how much to put out there to satisfy all of their customers.

Everybody has their own ideas. I don't like how this year is going. I don't like all of their best products crammed into August. The redundancy of products is a bit much. Why have a silver proof set and a limited edition silver proof set? Just do one or the other! I'm fine with a silver proof ASE. But why do we need an S AND a W. Just do one or the other. Why do we need a special 2 coin ASE set every year now? I can understand this year but there's only so many ASEs a guy really needs or can afford. This doesn't even wade into all of the AGE options or multitudes of commemoratives. Or the coins being release in between that nobody collects. They went from 1954 to 1982 without producing any commemoratives. Then we finally got one for the year. The mint has become a money hungry hog that still does not operate well. They're still trying to correct their website in 2021 and I know more than the customer service people I get on the phone, IF you can get someone on the phone. And in the end, being a government agency all you can say is we're lucky it isn't worse than it is. It's totally understandable why people have given up.

17. baseball21

This is where many trip up though I think you get it. People often cite that, but their responsibility is for circulation only. Collector products are a bonus which a lot of others forget.

Why not? We all like different things

They had a streak where that was really bad and the last one was a complete dud, but this year does make a lot of sense with the design change.

green18, LakeEffect and wxcoin like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Where did you get the idea that their job is to support the small collector?

And dealers are part of the public.

As to the Mint complaining about Bots, since in theory the Bots shouldn't be able to get past the CAPTHA test, they aren't buying the coins. The worst they could be doing is clogging the lines and therefore keeping the coins on sale for a longer period of time before they sell out.

LakeEffect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted